LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: I tried hard but I can't get rid of all flickering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here I'm going to give you some tips for editing your images that will lead to better results, not only when deflickering.

1. Never - ever - use "auto tone".
  2. Avoid the blacks-slider (!) -> best set it to 0!
  3. also avoid the other non-linear sliders: fill light, recovery, brightness, contrast (you can use them to a small degree, but don't exagerate)
  4. use Exposure and the parametric tone curve instead of them (compensate blacks with shadows).

That should get you great results.

Please tell me your experiences!
Gwegner,

Has any of this changed with the new processing algorithms in CS6 (Adobe Camera Raw 7)? Or should black slider still be avoided?

When you advise not adjusting non-linear sliders like fill light, recovery, etc, do you mean not to keyframe adjust them because they won't inerpolate well, or do you mean not to use them at all, even if their value remains constant?

Thank you as always!

-----
(2011-09-01, 00:30)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]
  1. Never - ever - use "auto tone".
  2. Avoid the blacks-slider (!) -> best set it to 0!
  3. also avoid the other non-linear sliders: fill light, recovery, brightness, contrast (you can use them to a small degree, but don't exagerate)
  4. use Exposure and the parametric tone curve instead of them (compensate blacks with shadows).
Hi, the Blacks Slider in LR3 was the worst, the Sliders in the LR4 work much finer but still, if you want the best deflicker results, don't edit too much with non-linear sliders in the first step - if you have to, go for the two-pass approach.
Which ones are non-linear in LR4?
Blacks, Whites, Shadows, Highlights, Clarity - but as I said you can use them with LR4 if you don't exaggerate... Just try to get the exposure right with the Exposure Slider first before using the other ones. Best is to start editing the sliders top down.
If you set these values the same for all your image sequence and don't change them from one picture to another, I guess it doesn't affect the flickering right?
When using LR3 it will affect flickering if you have high values on that sliders, no matter if they are same or not. As I said with LR4 you can relax.
Thanks, good to know. I guess using ACR from CS6 is the same as using LR4?

I often max out the highlights and shadows at -100 and 100 and leave the values the same for the entire sequence. For now, I didn't notice any more flickering.
Per your advice, I should not use them anymore and try to get the same results with the parametric curves which is safer flickering wise?

(2013-03-06, 11:23)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]When using LR3 it will affect flickering if you have high values on that sliders, no matter if they are same or not. As I said with LR4 you can relax.
No, if you use CS6 it's the new engine, you will be fine!
its CS6&CC days now, im using LR5.7, but things mentioned above are still happening.
There was a hyperlapse footage i did at dawn early march, where i set the exposure compensation around +1ev, today i get the chance to sat in front of my PC and look at my sequence, during the shot i saved the shadow area, but the sky is way to bright.
so without any further thinking, i bring down the highlight to -100, added a grad filter to darken sky exposure to -0.5ev, its looked fine, but when the final video is being played, the sky is flickering like thunder&flash rolling above, i was serious upset. So i redid the LR part, drag highlight back to around -30 and tried again, the result is so surprising.... almost 90% of the flicker is gone!! I thought the shot was ruined.
So, i think there is still bottom lines laying down there, any experience to share?
Thanks in advance =)
Pages: 1 2