LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Holy Grail and Exposure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

First I want to thank you Gunther for making this awsome piece of software. Keep up the good work.

I am about to purchase LRTimelapse and I am currently looking at a few scenarios that is typical for what I want to do.

Some days ago I ran into a problem that I have not yet been able to solve in a good way. I have searched the forums and web for a solution, but found nothing. That is the reason I am now posting here. My scenario is as follows:

I have a timelapse sequence shot at dusk using the "holy grail" method. I changed the shutter speed and ISO values during the shooting. The changes are quite small since I don't want to do large changes to exposure changes because this might affect image quality. So I have around 10 to 15 pairs of holy grail keyframes in my sequence.

So far so good. When I edit the keyframes in Lightroom I start by setting the exposure value for the first frame and work my way through the frames by CTRL+SHIFT+C/V and Match total exposure. When I reach the final keyframe I have a smooth transition over the whole sequence.

The last keyframe is obviously much darker than the first since I did not make any additional changes to the exposure of the holy grail keyframes. The fading of the sequence from start to finish is exactly as what actually was recorded by the camera and if I go back to LRTimelapse, make the auto transition and render the sequence in lightroom, it looks good.

However, now comes the problem. I don't want the sequence to be darker at the end. I want to gradually increase the exposure to compensate for the fading light. So basically what I want to do is to set the correct exposure to the last frame and make a linear transition from the first frame to the last. But this is not possible because then I have to remove the holy grail keyframes and the adjustments for the holy grail exposure jumps are lost.

I have looked at your tutorial and I can see that you solve this by gradually (manually) setting the exposure a little more to each holy grail keyframe. But this means you actually have to do this whole transition manually which I find does not give me good enough results.

What I basically want to do is to do a second pass exposure transition. I want to first take care of the holy grail keyframes, and after that be able to make changes to exposure that are nicely interpolated over the sequence. I have tried to do this by exporting as original or as DNG, but the exposure values are written to the file and if I apply an additional exposure transition with new keyframes, the compensation for the holy grail jumps are lost.

I don't want to export to jpeg because the changes to exposure to the last frame are quite large (2-3 steps) and jpeg would not be able to handle that.

Does anybody have a solution to this? Or am I missing something fundamental?

/jonas
Hi again,

I believe I have found a solution to this that works for me. I use a two pass method but I do the total exposure first instead of last. I slightly change my work flow as follows:

1. Import the raw files into LRTimelapse.

2. Set keyframes for first and last image.

3. Edit these two images in Lightroom as I want them.

4. Go back to LRTimelapse and make a transition with these values.

5. Add holy grail keyframes.

6. In Lightroom I now change all "right" keyframes to match the "left" ones.

7. Back in LRTimelapse again I make a new transition with these edited keyframes.

Done. I am satisfied with the result. Maybe this is already a known way to do it but I thought that anybody who is interested would like to know!

/jonas
Jonas,

I like that idea and thank you for sharing the solution that works for you.
(all too often there are great threads that terminate without providing the solution. This should become part of Netiquette in all forums).

(2013-04-20, 11:48)FM Cloud Wrote: [ -> ].... Maybe this is already a known way to do it but I thought that anybody who is interested would like to know!
/jonas

Greetings, Hans,.
FM Cloud wrote...
6. In Lightroom I now change all "right" keyframes to match the "left" ones.

If you have already set the exposure transition from first to last keyframe, why bother using the Holy Grail ones on top? or am misunderstanding your process?

In the first pass, do you get a smooth transition from beginning to end?

Tx Graham
Quote:If you have already set the exposure transition from first to last keyframe, why bother using the Holy Grail ones on top? or am misunderstanding your process?

In the first pass, do you get a smooth transition from beginning to end?

Hi Graham,

You are right, this does not really work as I explained. I am about to write a new post on this but right now I am confused on several levels so I haven't really been able to put together a good explanation or even a good question. So please forget about the workflow I posted, it does not work for a more complex transition as a day to night transition.

I am right now struggling with making a second pass of deflickering and exposure correction, but the suggested method here on the forums does not work good at all since the deflickering is based on the jpeg previews and for some reason Lightroom renders these completely different from the actual image.

/jonas
Hi again,

I have written a post about this issue here
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-2pas...2#pid10462

/jonas