LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Holy Grail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Gunter,

I have been practising with the Holy Grail method you describe so well in your new video and I have a question or three.

I did a time lapse tonight from later afternoon to dark and during this period I had to adjust either the speed or ISO many many times to keep the sequence looking reasonable on the histogram.

In your demo, you seem to capture it with just 3 changes. Am I doing something different here as I have 15 Holy Grail sets to process.

Also, as an aside, as it got dark and the shutter speed got longer, it didnt even show the histogram between shots, as I was working with a short interval, probably too short.

Can you adjust the interval during a shoot? or do you need an external, special intervalometer for that?

I have attached a couple of images, one from Initialisation and the second from after the Keyframes.

Any comments welcome to help me better understand the process of getting the best Holy Grail time lapse.

Thanks in advance
Graham
[attachment=325]
[attachment=326]
Reading other entries on this forum it seems that lots of Holy Grail keyframes is normal.

I went through the process of editing each keyframe, using the "Match Total Exposure" facility in LR, went back to LRT, reloaded and applied the transitions.

However, the final video jumps all over the place with brightness and the editing doesnt seem to have done much to reduce or lessen the jumps in exposure due to the changes in ISO or shutter speed.

I'm followed the workflow as shown in the tutorial and did my best between the 3* and the following 2* keyframes to even out the changes.

Any ideas anyone or it just my editing and needing more experience in working with LRT?
You are right, normally you need more than 3 adjustments for a holy grail - in the video I just used a short sequence.
Adjusting the interval is only possible with special intervalometers.

In you examples some of the jumps looks good, others you have messed up - you should take care only to change in one direction and not doing changes too close to each other because that will cause additional manual work when editing.

At least the first part of your video should work fine (there you have distinct 2/3 Star jumps - if not just check if you followed the workflow from initialization covering all steps carefully!
Hi Gunter,
Thanks for the feedback, but can you explain more about ....

"some of the jumps looks good, others you have messed up - you should take care only to change in one direction and not doing changes too close to each"

What exactly do you mean? How can you tell Ive messed them up? What are you looking for?

And what do you mean by change in one direction?

Many thanks
Graham
Hi, I marked the messed ones:
[Image: messed.png]

The idea is that you only change between two images, then wait a couple of frames. Furthermore in the beginning you went first longer with the times, than shorter again, that does not make real sense.

Just check the blue curve that reads the brightness. It should be a clean saw-tooth curve like on the not marked parts.
The system put in the HG keyframes automatically, so the ones marked up as messed-up were put there by the system. Instead of just putting one set of HG keyframes, its put a series. I dont understand why.

The rate of change was due to clouds clearing or covering the skies. The camera was set to manual exposure, so the only adjustment I made on this run was ISO, using the histogram to check the results. As it got darker, it also got cloudier, so Ihad to make more adjustments to the ISO.

Tx Graham
It put them there because you or your camera changed either ISO, Exposure Time or Aperture.
If you shot on M Mode (like it's recommended) then that changes could only have occurred by you doing them manually when shooting - this is the idea of the holy grail workflow. Please check out my holy grail tutorial again if in doubt.