LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: jpg/raw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Gunther,
I've been asked to do a long timelapse, c.3 minutes in length, and have decided my only option is to shoot in jpg. Shooting in RAW would exceed even my 64GB card.
Looking at your Holy Grail tutorial and the 4th video by Serge Ramelli I see that when doing the "Match Total Exposure" command, any subsequent adjustments of the 3-star keyframes were very minor. But I'm having to do an incredible amount of work between the 2- and 3-star keyframes, particularly with the Gradient tool and Adjustment Brush. Is this a normal part of shooting in jpg?
This is time consuming but okay. However, after saving the Metadata, reloading it into LRT, checking the Auto Transition, Deflicker and Save commands, and importing the Metadata into LR, many of the changes I did on the keyframes were changed slightly. Everything looks great prior to Saving Metadata and Reloading in LRT. But after reading the Metadata in LR, there is a significant alteration in each keyframe's brightness. The Mean column in LRT has quite a jump too between keyframes: 0.298 and 0.452. Is this important?
Difficult to explain in writing, I know, but this has me baffled. Why do the colour values in a keyframe change from LR after Reloading it into LRT? Shouldn't they be the only frames that remain exempt from any alteration by the Auto Transition command?
Apologies for the lengthy ramble. I've used Photoshop for years and don't mind any changes I have to make after Match Total Exposure. But why does each keyframe's tone values change so much, making much of the work I did in LR pointless?

Cheers,
Ray
Normaly not - have you used the deflicker option? I suggest leaving it deactivated in that case - just to check if if helps.
The auto transition will not change your key frames, so there must be something else wrong in your case...
(2013-05-20, 18:07)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Normaly not - have you used the deflicker option? I suggest leaving it deactivated in that case - just to check if if helps.
The auto transition will not change your key frames, so there must be something else wrong in your case...

Hi Gunther,
Thanks for the quick reply. The various changes that I've made to the Keyframes in LR are, of course, listed in columns on the right-hand side of LRT. The Exposure setting, for example: after making my changes to the Keyframes in LR, Saving the Metadata and Reloading in LRT, all is fine. Then I press the Auto Transitions and each Keyframe's characteristics--in this case, the Exposure--changes. This is prior to applying any Deflickering.
I have the Workflows from your ebook and tutorials written down in front of me, just in case of any errors. It is very simple and easy to follow. Otherwise all else is fine (even the problem I had with my Nikon camera's exposure, which I posted earlier, was caused by a defective lens meter, which has since been repaired).
I'll look into this more and see if I've erred elsewhere. Could my use of the Adjustment Brush be problematic? Perhaps just stick to the Highlights/Shadows et al. sliders?
I think I'll also have to forego shooting in RAW as my time-lapses will be too large, c.3,500 photos. This would take most of the day to Render.
Thanks again for your help. Now I know that the characteristics of the Keyframes don't change I can look back over my workflow and adjust accordingly.

Cheers,
Ray
Hi Ray,
the adjustment brush is not supported by LRT! If you want to use it do this as the very last step in Lightroom, before exporting the video. Then synch only that brush settings to all images!
Best
Gunther
(2013-05-21, 15:34)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Ray,
the adjustment brush is not supported by LRT! If you want to use it do this as the very last step in Lightroom, before exporting the video. Then synch only that brush settings to all images!
Best
Gunther

Hi Gunther,
Thanks for that. I've been so used to using a pen and tablet that I felt comfortable with the adjustment brush. I had no idea whether it was supported by LRT or not. Confusion cleared up. The Highlights/Shadows etc. sliders are simpler and quicker to use, so this is fine. Now I know why a lot of my work wasn't read when saving the Metadata.

Ray