LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Shooting at night
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys! Quick question!

To preface, I'm using the holy grail approach of manually adjusting exposure to 0EV everytime it reaches -1EV (As Gunther suggests).

My question is, how do you know when to adjust exposure when it's dark out, and you want to set the exposure below the -2EV cap that it shows on the display? It seems hard to monitor it if it drops past the -EV as you can't see how many stops more it's underexposed.

Do you instead change exposure from the histogram? Or is there a way to change these settings that I am not aware of?

Weston
Yes I use the histogram! It's more reliable, bacause like you said the metering stops working when it gets dark.
Great Gunthar. Thanks a lot buddy.

Any tips on using the histogram? I know roughly how to read it, but any added info would be awesome.

Weston
If it's cut on the right side you'l get blown highlights, if it's cut left you have a lot of shadows. You should avoid blown highlights... Normally wenn going into sunset, I wait until the right histogtam part is 1/3 from the right side, then adjust +1EV.