LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Tutorial 1: How to plan a sunset under a natural bridge with PhotoPills.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

This dramatic sunset under the natural bridge called “Es Pont d’En Gil” in Menorca (40.010818ºN, 3.79433ºE) was taken by my friend Antoni Cladera on the 28th of January 2013 around 5:58 pm.

[Image: shot3.jpg]

I am the co-creator of PhotoPills, an app that allows you to easily plan any photo you imagine with sun and moon and many more things. I think people in this forum might be interested in it.

PhotoPills' logic is very simple, you just have to decide:
  1. From where to shoot (40.011126ºN, 3.795264ºE).
  2. The date range within you wish to look for results (1 month, 6 months, 1 year…).
  3. Where you want the sun or moon to be. You’ll set the azimuth and the elevation of the sun or moon.
  4. Tap the search button to get all possible dates it happens. If the photo you imagine is impossible, PhotoPills tells it too.
In the following video I explain you , step by step, how to plan the sunset under the natural bridge you see in the photo. I apologize for my accent in advance Smile

In this second video you’ll see how German (the developer), Antoni (the photographer) and I designed, planned and made a time lapse of the same sunset. This one is more fun, I promise!

Finally, I’d like to show you the time lapse “Ibiza Lights III” by Jose A. Hervas. He edited it with LRTimelapse and used PhotoPills to plan the scenes with the sun.

I hope you’ve found this tutorial interesting. I really believe PhotoPills can help you plan your time lapses with Sun, Moon and Milky way.

Please, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Cheers,

Rafael

Our website is: http://www.photopills.com
That looks like a nice app. I've been using The Photographers Ephemeris for a quite a few years. The desktop version is free and it's handy for preplanning. I use the IOS version in the field with great results.

The Photographers Ephemeris

(2013-06-17, 18:36)RafaelPons Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

This dramatic sunset under the natural bridge called “Es Pont d’En Gil” in Menorca (40.010818ºN, 3.79433ºE) was taken by my friend Antoni Cladera on the 28th of January 2013 around 5:58 pm.

[Image: shot3.jpg]

I am the co-creator of PhotoPills, an app that allows you to easily plan any photo you imagine with sun and moon and many more things. I think people in this forum might be interested in it.

PhotoPills' logic is very simple, you just have to decide:
  1. From where to shoot (40.011126ºN, 3.795264ºE).
  2. The date range within you wish to look for results (1 month, 6 months, 1 year…).
  3. Where you want the sun or moon to be. You’ll set the azimuth and the elevation of the sun or moon.
  4. Tap the search button to get all possible dates it happens. If the photo you imagine is impossible, PhotoPills tells it too.
In the following video I explain you , step by step, how to plan the sunset under the natural bridge you see in the photo. I apologize for my accent in advance Smile

In this second video you’ll see how German (the developer), Antoni (the photographer) and I designed, planned and made a time lapse of the same sunset. This one is more fun, I promise!

Finally, I’d like to show you the time lapse “Ibiza Lights III” by Jose A. Hervas. He edited it with LRTimelapse and used PhotoPills to plan the scenes with the sun.

I hope you’ve found this tutorial interesting. I really believe PhotoPills can help you plan your time lapses with Sun, Moon and Milky way.

Please, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Cheers,

Rafael

Our website is: http://www.photopills.com
I just switched to PhotoPills. It's a great app and it has many great features that TPE doesn't have.

Question- Is there a way to configure the time to be local rather than UTC?

Never mind. I found your tutorials. The interface is very clean and well thought out. Nice work!
Hey Michael!

Thanks for using PhotoPills!
Hope you found our Tutorials useful Smile

Cheers,
Rafael

(2013-08-11, 16:41)Michael Lloyd Wrote: [ -> ]I just switched to PhotoPills. It's a great app and it has many great features that TPE doesn't have.

Never mind. I found your tutorials. The interface is very clean and well thought out. Nice work!
Rafael- The tutorials are well produced and informative. All in all I think you guys have hit a home run :o)

(2013-08-27, 15:21)RafaelPons Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Michael!

Cheers,
Rafael

(2013-08-11, 16:41)Michael Lloyd Wrote: [ -> ]I just switched to PhotoPills. It's a great app and it has many great features that TPE doesn't have.

Michael, thanks a lot!
We'll keep improving it!

Cheers,
Rafael

(2013-08-27, 16:09)Michael Lloyd Wrote: [ -> ]Rafael- The tutorials are well produced and informative. All in all I think you guys have hit a home run :o)

(2013-08-27, 15:21)RafaelPons Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Michael!

Cheers,
Rafael

This looks cool.
Does anyone know if they plan on making the same app to run on an Android.
Hi there!

Our roadmap includes the Android versión, but I cannot advance any date, it'll take a while. We'll anounce it on fb and tw.

Thanks a lot!

Rafael

(2013-08-28, 19:02)FableBlue2010 Wrote: [ -> ]This looks cool.
Does anyone know if they plan on making the same app to run on an Android.