LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Day to Night TL in Av mode and Deflicker function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

at the first congratulations for your job Gunther, I like LR and LRtimelapse is the perfect tool to make perfect TL. It is a drug! ;-)

I'm starting to make my first TL, so I'm experiencing different possibilities. But I have a doubt: I want to make a long sunset TL from 1 hour before sunset to 2 hours after. I have seen your tutorial about it, but it is very laborious to change the speed time to time (each 1EV) to adjust to light conditions and after that use LR to match the photos when you have increased the exposition. But there is a simple method to do it: I make all photos using the Av mode, matrix mettering and -2EV correction, the camera change the time (from 1/60 to 30s for example) to try to match all expositions and you obtain a very flickered sequence (the minimum exposition steps of my camera is 1/3EV), and with a more or less flat lighting. But after that you apply the magic deflicker function, and use a manual curve to under expose gradually the photos.

You think I can obtain good results with this process? The issue is I have to underexpose the last photo around 6 diaphragm perhaps, and it can be critic even using RAW format.

Sorry for my terrible English and regards from Spain!
You can try it - but in my experience that doesn't give even come close to the silky smooth results my Holy Grail approach gives you. Another problem is that the metering stops working if it gets too dark, so you might end up with a black and unusable ending of the sequence.
I mean, there is a reason why we use the Holy Grail approach ;-)