LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Changing exposure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

I was wondering how you know when to do an exposure change during the recording of a timelapse.

Let's say you're doing a holy grail and you want to change it every time the sunlight has gained one stop. How do you know when that is? Do you use a light meter or do you just go by your gut instinct? Or do you simply go to the camera and see the last picture it took and assess when it's time to change the exposure?

DjBeau
We just press play and watch the histogram - make sure you are in Histogram-overlay-mode before starting shooting. Then you can see when you are "off" by one step!
Thank for your answer (and for a great program!).

Do you then use automatic image preview or do you just press the play button on the camera? Isn't touching the camera a small risk of changing the framing?
Normally I don't use the automatic preview, I carefully press play. If you have a sturdy tripod (you should!) then this is no problem.
(2013-08-08, 17:07)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Normally I don't use the automatic preview, I carefully press play. If you have a sturdy tripod (you should!) then this is no problem.

Cool, trying it out now :-)
(2013-08-08, 23:09)DjBeau Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-08, 17:07)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Normally I don't use the automatic preview, I carefully press play. If you have a sturdy tripod (you should!) then this is no problem.

Cool, trying it out now :-)

How do we understand from the histogram that we are underexposing the image by 1 stop.
If you have some space to the right. Try it and you will get a feeling how much.

First of all thanks for such an incredible program, i'm still getting to grips with it but it's fun to experiment.
I'm planning on doing my first HG time lapse soon, i have a Nikon D5100 and i have found that the only way to review the last image taken and adjust exposure accordingly is to stop the intervalometer. The camera won't respond to me pressing play or changing settings while taking pictures/between exposures.. Is this normal??
Yes, on the 5x00 Nikons you can't press play while the internal Intervalometer runs. Get yourself an external one (like the Pixel timer) then it will work. Check out my video about shooting holy grail without touching the cam as well!
http://lrtimelapse.com/gear/dslrdashboard/