LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Reaching minimum shutter speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello again

In some tutorial or forum post I saw that Gunther often shoots with 5 seconds intervals. But let's say you're doing a holy grail from day to night. At some point your shutter speed will go beyond 5 seconds and then it's no longer possible to do 5 seconds intervals.

As far as I can see you have two options:

1: Change the interval (which will make the speed of the timelapse sequence increase - for example the clouds will be faster)

2: Up the iso (which will increase noise)

What's the common choice here?

Regards
Bo
Most of the times I then start increasing the ISO. If I know I'm going into the night I will mostly start with longer intervals also.
(2013-08-08, 23:49)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Most of the times I then start increasing the ISO. If I know I'm going into the night I will mostly start with longer intervals also.

Makes sense, I had to go the iso way for my test tonight as well. The camera manufacturers should give us shutter speeds that exceed 30 secs (and not just bulb) - it would be an incredibly easy thing to do and I really can't see why they don't.
Longer shutter times are not that useful for time lapsing, because even with a fisheye the movement of the stars will get too fast if you exceed 20-30 secs.
True, but still I think the user of the camera should have the possibility in stead of just using bulb :-)
Absolutely.