LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: h.264 on LRTimelapse presets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there, i would like to ask why you are using h.264 on LR timelapse HQ and UHQ presets.I'd suggest you to change that (if its even possible) to another since h.264 is supposed to be used on the web, while Lightrooms export is supposed to be processes on another application like Sony Vegas, Final Cut, After Effects etc.

In case you want me to hint couple of reasons to do that:
1.h.264 uses high compression algorythms in order to reduce filesize.While processing a video you don't need compression at all, so OS doesn't have to uncompress and recompress video all the time.Like that you will have a faster preview etc.
2.Uncompressed files maintain better image quality over the compressed h.264 ( even at 20000bps)
As far as I know it is not possible to export uncompressed from Lightroom.
Furthermore every DSLR records movie compressed with H.264 as well - so with high enough bitrates the results are quite good.
A I already noted, I'm working on even better presets, but it will take some days more for them to be finished...
I see.I will be waiting, but as i already said, h.264 is harder to work with on post process anyways (as far i know).Consider updating your tutorial to jpg sequence?I believe thats the best way to export from LR at the time being.
I've never had any problems with post processing, modern software is very well capable to handle h.264 though it's becoming the de facto standard.

The jpg workflow is the same as the raw workflow, but you will get inferior quality. I recommend to use RAW whenever you can.