LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Holy Grail does not correct exposure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have a problem with Holy Grail workflow. I've shot hyper lapse with (motion time lapse) with HG method changing exposure manually. The first part of sequence was made with lens connected - but then I remembered that I can disconnect the lenses on Cannon so that there were no flicker - so in this part of sequence I have no information about aperture in metadata.
In short - the problem is when having set HG keyframes manually and pressed "Holy Grail Wizard Button" I got the exposure changing just in first HG step but not for others where there is no info about aperture.
I thought that LRtimelapse will just change exposure between each left-right pair of keyframes but that doesn't happen. I also tried to use "used optical key frames detection..." but nothing changed...
Can you recommend anything except for manually changing exposure for each keyframe from each pair?

[attachment=448]

(The most weird thing is that I recently already edited this sequence and as I remember - it worked... I tryied to remember everything as I could...but I don't remember that I made any exposure corrections manually - LRtimelapse made it by itself and there are no any jumps in exported images.. Now I wanted to change my color and..here is the problem...Could I spoil my metadata by anything? Now it seems to be ok - I didn't rewrite aperture info for the first part and there is no information for another part though LRtimelapse advises my to fill it with some constant aperture values).
If you want to use the Key-Frames wizard, just provide the aperture value that you had at the beginning for the rest of the sequence it will then work.
The easiest then would be to just set the keyframes 2*/3* left and right of the "jumps" where they are missing manually, after executing the Keyframes-Wizard.

Then try the HG-Wizard again.
(2013-08-29, 09:52)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to use the Key-Frames wizard, just provide the aperture value that you had at the beginning for the rest of the sequence it will then work.
The easiest then would be to just set the keyframes 2*/3* left and right of the "jumps" where they are missing manually, after executing the Keyframes-Wizard.

Then try the HG-Wizard again.
I just want that when clicking on Holy Grail - I would get those zigzags that could correct my exposures in jumps in the places that were set manually by me. I personally can set keyframes manually. I tried to set aperture information - but this doesn't help to solve my problem. Do I correctly understand that LRTimelapse can find jumps in two ways: with the help of metadata info, when they are set manually. But that doesn't matter in my case - cause I set it manually. But how LRtimelapse decides HOW EXACTLY to correct the exposure between left-right pair of frames? Optically in both cases - right? And that's the problem - even when I set keyframes manually - LRTimelapse does not want to correct exposure in those jumps. It should - isn't it?..
It can only correct by exif data. If there is no change in the Shutter Speed/Aperture/ISO column, no adjustment will take place by the holy grail wizard.
(2013-08-29, 10:40)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]It can only correct by exif data. If there is no change in the Shutter Speed/Aperture/ISO column, no adjustment will take place by the holy grail wizard.
Unfortunately LRtimelapse doesn't let me set any aperture value I need, for example f/18. Can you help me - is there any formula of how I should change the exposure when I change aperture value?
For example my timelapse was shot on Kit lenses for Cannon: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, ISO 100, exposure 2 seconds with aperture changing like that: 22, 20, 18, 16, 14. What should be exposure correction values between aperture changes?

So do I correctly understand that you use some formula? But I seem to be stupid because there may be another easy way: two close frames maybe corrected by using mean value difference. So you could add to LRtimelapse option "Use optical keyframe correction instead of EXIF-data (not recommended)".
You can only set a fixed aperture value for the whole sequence. 99% of all time lapse shooters do not change aperture while shooting, and I would thoroughly recommend not to do it as well.
There is no optical correction of "jumps", LRTimelapse relies on the exif data like lightroom does it when using "match total exposure".