LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Issues with Canon 7D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone

I tried to shoot a timelapse today with the following setup:

Canon 7D
Canon Intervalometer TC-80N3
DslrDashboard Version 0.30.30
TP Link Wireless Router
Nexus 7 Tablet with Android 4.3

I was able to control my camera from within the LRTimelapse section of DslrDashboard but as soon as I start the intervalometer, I can no longer change the values (Shutter Speed/ISO). When I stop the intervalometer, I can change them again. It seems that the 7D doesn't accept any external device to change values when a Intervalometer is hooked up to the camera.

Is anyone else having the same issue and is there a solution for this problem?
I had this once when playing around with the Canon 6D, I couldn't change ISO then. But after this I never managed to reproduce this.
Please try it again - turn off everything and on again - does the problem persist?
I just tested it again.

This is what I have done:

1.) Turn on the power of the TP Link (not yet connected to the USB port of the camera)
2.) Connecting to OpenWRT WLAN on the Nexus
3.) Starting DslrDashboard on the Nexus
4.) Turning on the power of the Canon 7D
5.) Connecting the USB cable of the TP Link to the 7D
6.) Connect to OpenWRT from DslrDashboard

At this moment, I'm able to change Shutter Speed and ISO Values from within LRTimelapse Screen

7.) Connecting the Canon TC-80N3 Intervalometer to the 7D (still able to change Values)

8.) Starting the Intervalometer -> No longer able to change values

9.) Stoping the Intervalometer -> I'm again able to change values

I can reproduce this every single time.
I've done some further testing and I think I now know what is causing this issue:

It seems, that when you half press the shutter button, you are no longer able to change the values. You won't even need an intervalometer connected to the camera, as soon as you half press your shutter button, you can't change the values on the LRTimelapse screen anymore.

Now I think the Canon Intervalometer sends a half press shutter signal 4-5 seconds before it actually captures the image because when I increase the interval to 10 seconds, I'm able to change the values for about 5 seconds after the image has been captured.
(2013-10-20, 01:22)shotup Wrote: [ -> ]I've done some further testing and I think I now know what is causing this issue:

It seems, that when you half press the shutter button, you are no longer able to change the values. You won't even need an intervalometer connected to the camera, as soon as you half press your shutter button, you can't change the values on the LRTimelapse screen anymore.

Now I think the Canon Intervalometer sends a half press shutter signal 4-5 seconds before it actually captures the image because when I increase the interval to 10 seconds, I'm able to change the values for about 5 seconds after the image has been captured.

Yes, while the shutter button is half pressed or full pressed you can't change the camera properties. That is a camera limitation.
This is a weird behavior for an Intervalometer. Normally it shouldn't do this. I don't have that problem with my Pixel-Timer.
I agree with you Gunther. It's quite weird but I think this is really the problem.

Have you used your Pixel Intervalometer with a Canon or a Nikon Camera?

I found a blog post with a review of the original Canon intervalometer and they say:
Quote:Two additional things worth pointing out, first, the TC-80N3′s intervalometer will “half press” the shutter release several seconds before the image is captured. There’s more than enough time for an IS system to settle, focus to be achieved, and metering to be done.

The original blog post can be found here: http://www.pointsinfocus.com/reviews/acc...n-tc-80n3/

I will test it with my Canon 5D Mark II and Mark III and I also have an other, non- Canon Intervalometer that I can try.

I will keep you updated on this.
I used the Pixel Timer on both, Canon and Nikons, I have different connector cables. No problem.
Obviously the original timer wants to focus before releasing, really stupid in my opinion when in interval mode... No one would want to shoot time lapses with autofocus on!
Yes, that's indeed very stupid.

I hope I will find some time tomorrow to test it with my 5D MII and MIII and my old 30D and I also will try my non Canon Intervalometer.

BTW: I made a test today with the timelapse function built in DslrDashboard and that worked very well for a 2 hour sunset. So for the moment, this is my way to.
I have some news about the issue.

While studying the connection diagram of the TC-80N3 intervalometer, I saw that one cable/pin is for the shutter command, one for the half-press-shutter command and one is the ground.

So I thought, when I cut the half-press-shutter cable, the problem should no longer persist because the camera no longer receives a half-press-shutter command. I remembered that I had an old TC-80N3 with a broken cable shield so I thought, I give it a try and....

...it works!

Now I can change the values for Shutter/ISO until the camera releases the shutter! Very cool.

If you want to do the same, just cut the white wire (NOT the red one) like in the picture below.

Obviously, your warranty is gone when you do this and I can't guarantee, that it works for you. So if you wanna do this, you do it on your own responsibility.

[Image: modified-tc-80n3.jpg]
Pages: 1 2