LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: DIY Slider Dolly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

i would like to show you my self made Slider for creating moved timelapse videos. It is based on the DryLin rail from the company IGUS. The dolly is moved by a geared DC-motor wich is driven by an arduino.

The parameters for the arduino are now transfered from a PC via Bluetooth. Also the camera is triggered by the arduino. The exposure time can be set by the arduino, so it is possible to do exposure ramped recording sessions.

While i am writing this post, a demo-timalapse is recorded show another feature: The ramping of the dolly-velocity.
I will post that video too afterwards.

Greets from Austria,
Sebastian
As promised the Video demonstrating the speed ramping feature.

All Videos are just "quick'n dirty". No deflicker, stabilazation, etc. was done.

Greets,
Sebastian
Today i started developing the android app for controlling the slider
looks promising..

Screenshot of the UI is attached.

Greets,
Sebastian
Great job! I am very curious as to your results after you field test. I took basically the same approach a few years back in writing a program for Android and and Arduino program that was communicate via bluetooth, but I coulnd't work out the bugs in time for a commercial job so I had to break down and buy a DP system. After I had the DP I gave up development. I'd love to see some test shots from your setup and learn more about how you achieved the Bluetooth connectivity and the Arduino control program.
Hi there.

I am very busy these days so there was not much progress until now, but yesterday my lipo accumulator got delivered and now i am hoping to get good weather to do the first outdoor test.

The next step will be to exchange the geared dc drive by a high torque stepper, to move high loads at various speeds. As can be seen in the image attached, the stepper features an incremental encoder. Thus i can implement a closed loop control of the sliding speed.

@grantkayne:
The android development is done with an IDE called App Inventor from MIT. It is a graphic development toolchain for basic android apps. Fortunately a serial bluetooth communication can be done. The transmission protocoll is very basic and is based on transfering bytes indicating characters for the parameter and an interger for the value of the parameter.
As my prfession is embedded software developer, later i plan to develop the app with the eclipse based toolchain provided by google. Yet i do not plan to sell slider or the app. It`s just for fun :-)
Btw. what do you mean with "DP system"