LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Color-Correct RAW Wokflow in AE with Intermediate Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am migrating my workflow to RAW in After Effects on a PC and I would like to post it here to solicit some advice from those on this forum who might be more knowledgeable than me.

My workflow (past):
1. Shoot my timelapses in RAW
2. Develop in Lightroom/LRT
3. Export JPEGs
4. Import JPEGs in Premiere as clips to edit timelapse movies.

I would like to eliminate the JPEG step, and use LR/LRT to develop the RAW files, and then bring them into After Effects, and render intermediate files to archive for later use in a NLE such as Premiere.

New Workflow:
1. Shoot my timelapses in RAW
2. Develop in Lightroom/LRT
3. Import sequence of RAW files into AE
4. Export video file from each clip
5. Load clips into Premiere for movie editing

Questions:
1. Color Settings - I shoot in Adobe RGB in-camera. In the past I exported JPEGs in this color space, so now that I am working with RAW in AE, do I want to set the Composition to 16 bit color, and working space to "Adobe RGB" (is this ideal?)

2. Render Settings - What is a good intermediate format for rendering out of AE into clips I can later use in an NLE?
Someone suggested I use MPEG-2 BluRay, full-res size, 23.976fps, CBR, 25 MB/s (makes a ~78 Mb file in about 1 minute for a 26s timelapse clip). Can anyone suggest something better? Uncompressed CineForm AVI seems to be HUGE and takes too long (makes a 240 MB file in 55 minutes for a 26s timelapse clip).

I'm on a PC so I do not have access to ProRes. My mahcine is fast, 3.7GHz, 24 GB RAM.
Thanks. Hope this leads others to a more streamlined workflow.
Hi, why don't you just use the LRTimelapse Exort process and skip After Effects. You can user ProRes on PC without problems, just export from LR via LRTExport in MP4 or Prores and take this into your video cutting solution.
That's why I do - even for my professional solutions. I only use AE anymore if I have to stabilize footage.
(2013-10-23, 21:17)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, why don't you just use the LRTimelapse Exort process and skip After Effects. You can user ProRes on PC without problems, just export from LR via LRTExport in MP4 or Prores and take this into your video cutting solution.
That's why I do - even for my professional solutions. I only use AE anymore if I have to stabilize footage.

Because I can't afford the pro version of your software right now - I already invested a ton into Adobe CC.

Your software makes JPEGs and places them in a temporary folder, then renders these into a video using the settings the user specifies. What can you tell me about the intermediate JPEGs? What size / resolution, and color space are they?

I see the JPEGs are sRGB, at 240 dpi, full size. Are these settings changable?