LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Sky-Watcher All-View Mount Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tested the new Synta/Sky-Watcher All-View mount for SkyNews magazine in Canada and the review is now available on line at http://www.skynews.ca/review-allview-mount/ This mount is the much more solid replacement for the Synta mount that sold as the Orion TeleTrack or Merlin.

In brief - The All-View mount can serve as an inexpensive two-axis motion controller for time lapse work, and as a solid GoTo mount for telescopes. While it certainly has its limitations for time-lapse shooting (no speed ramping and no 3-point moves) it's a good way to get into 2-axis motion control shots for not a lot of money. Even if you graduate to something fancier later on, like an eMotimo, you'll still have a very good GoTo mount for astronomy to use yourself or to sell to amateur astronomers. However, I've talked to Synta engineers and they have noted my comments on the need for ramping and multi-point moves so I would not be surprised to see new features added via firmware upgrades in the future. They seem very interested in serving the time-lapse market.
Can you use the MX2 to control it like the Merlin?
Hi Gunter - I did not test it with the MX2, not having the proper connectors. You can download the manual hereā€¦ http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/05_ser...hp?ccid=39 where there is a pin-out diagram and instruction protocol.

I suspect that the same commands that worked with the Merlin will not work with the All-View, or if they work now they may not with the next firmware upgrade from Synta. Controlling one company's product with another's unit is a project fraught with difficulties.

The reason to control the All-View with an external controller would, I assume, be primarily to add in the sort of ramping commands the Synta resident firmware currently lacks. Mating the All-View to a third-axis dolly like the DP Stage One would be impractical, I think, as the All-View is a large and hefty mount, which is why it is far better than the TeleTrack/Merlin for its main intended application: handling a telescope for GoTo pointing and viewing. But that makes it hard to place it on top of a dolly platform. And impractical perhaps to take along on airline trips.

The All-View is best used as it is intended, as a stand-alone (literally! it has its own sturdy tripod) two-axis motion controller for basic time-lapse shooting for those who wish to get into motion control work without spending upwards of $1000 that many other units cost. The affordable alternatives might be the Radian from Alpine Labs (which works very well) or the new MP360 two-axis unit from CamRanger (mine arrives shortly). Both would mate to a dolly fine (not clear if they can be controlled by an MX2 or MX3 for integrated control from one device), but both are dedicated to just time-lapse. The All-View has the benefit that it works great as a telescope mount as well.

At $400 (here in Canada) the All-View is a bargain, though for pro time-lapse work it really needs a further firmware upgrade to add more advanced features. But for those wanting a decent telescope mount anyway, the All-View offers the time-lapse capabilities (and gigapan shooting functions) as a bonus. It's a great way to get into motion control work then graduate to more advanced devices later as passion and budget allow. You still have a good mount for astronomy. But I suspect the All-View will improve its functions for time-lapse, making it an excellent choice for astronomers who want a mount and also want to dabble in time-lapse without spending a lot on dedicated motion control units.