LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: How to use Auto Holy Grail with DslrDashboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Normally I just go for higher ISOs with the milkyway and shorter times (say 15 Secs) to be able to have a constant interval from day to night.
If you want (and are technically enabled to do it) you could of course as well ramp the interval, but you will get an acceleration then. Personally I don't like that that much...
Thanks Gunther. Though where I am (Brisbane Australia) the sun or moon rockets into the sky even with a 10 sec interval (and 25 fps playback), so 15s would be worse (even faster).
I've discovered the 'shooting techniques' area of the forum so will post such questions there in future Smile
Hi,
first thank you for all the advice and information there are in this thread.
My question is about the minimum interval time to have between the shots.
before trying Dslrdashboard, I used to have 2s with a Canon 6D for milkyway TL ( 20s/2.8/1600ISO and 22s interval ). I noticed that with a 11OOD canon it was more reliable to have 3s ( I guess that the speed of the Memory card is also a parameter: I use a 95Mb/s for the 6D and a 45Mb for the 1100D )
Now with DslrDashboard LRTimelapse mode that I use with my 2 Dslr connected through the TPlink3040, I am wondering if we need more interval time to ensure to have time for this process and the SDcard to be written ?
is the size of the Jpeg a parameter ?, On the 6D We can choose the size of the jpeg.
Another point linked to that is what is writen or not on the PC or tablet running Dslrdashboard, I am not able to see where something is saved...
Thankyou very much for any help
Dominique
I think as a guide, * use the smallest jpg your camera can produce and ** add 2 secs to your normal interval to allow transmission of the jpg from camera to device.

I suspect you are correct that jpg size and card write-speed are factors. So you could experiment. Perhaps 1 extra second is enough to transmit the jpg and have DDB do the calculations for the next exposure.
Hi,
Thank you for your thought about my questions.
Maybe if some body could confirm the key factors regarding this process, I would appreciate.
yes I could add 2s meaning 4s (6D)and 5s (1100D) between the shortest shot and the interval, but I would prefer to well understand.
Another point is about the tests to perform. how many shots for such a test ?, I think that only 5 to 10 is not enough ?, because I guess there is a king of memory cache ?
Thank you if somebody made some tests ?
Best regards
Dominique
Hi Gunter

My thanks for producing such a great site for timelapse novices like me. I have learned a lot since discovering your site.

When shooting the Holy Grail using qdslardashboard and a slider how to you prevent an exposure being triggered at a time when the slider is moving the camera? It seems to me this cannot be controlled and in an ideal world qdslardashboard would be controlling the slider also Smile

H
@djoubert: you will have to test it for yourself with your setup. I find that 2 sec. "darktime" is what I need in order to have the jpg transfered from the camera and qDDB adjusting the camera properly.
So if you have a longest exposure time of 8 Seconds for example, the interval should be 10 seconds.
Please note that exposure times on cameras are weirdly rounded - so 15 sec are 16 seconds in reality. 30 sec. are 32 secs. All "real" times are to the power of 2.
@hayain: you can control it by setting the "exposure delay" setting in the slider controller. Just make it long enough to but the slider movement at the end of your interval.
Hi Gwegner.
Thank you very much for your input about this darktime,
I will perform more tests in order to be sure to not miss some shots.
Best regards
Dominique
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12