LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: LR T lapse Makes Images Back In LR Very Dark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a ocean scene time lapse under bright sun and with fluffy clouds. When the clouds blocked the sun, I changed the ISO to bring up dark detail, and then when sun came back, I returned to original ISO.

In Light Room I manually evened up all the exposures as best as possible. Not perfectly, but very close, and I figured the deflicker feature in LR Time Lapse would even out more.

I loaded images into LR Time Lapse V 1.6 tenerife > Auto Transitions > clicked Deflicker > Save

On LR Time Lapse viewer screen it looked to me like the red graph was compensating for the blue exposure highs and lows. When blue was way down, red went way up. With deflicker to max 20 the green graph was smooth.

Back in LR I read the meta data back to the files, and all my files' previews became very dark, like two stops down. All my manual adjustments were overwritten and I was stuck with a folder of underexposed images :)

On Mac 10.6.0.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! Tom

- A Half Hour Later Try Two

I guess I made some mistakes, which probably explains the two stop darkening:

The first try described above, my yellow graph showing linear transition was all over the place, up and down like a mountain range. I think I hit "deflicker" before "auto transition". This time I reversed the two actions, and my yellow graph is smooth.

In try two, when I bring back into LR and reimport the meta data, the beginning of the time lapse is dark by about a stop, but gradually lightens up at the end to a tad over exposed.

Does this have something with my yellow graph going up hill slightly, left to right?

If so, how do I level out.

Thanks again, and thanks for patience.

[attachment=56]
Hi Tom, I wrote an ansewer for you and made an FAQ topic out of it.
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-how-...red-curves

In short: In your case you are trying to compensate the global changes in lightning in your sequence, this leads to very hard changes in exposure. You should definitely lower the "Avg. smooth" to capture only the flicker effects. But please read my explanations above and feel free to ask your questions if there are any left.

Best
Gunther
Gunther:

Thanks for the very informative FAQ.

Following your instructions, I chose a reference area that covered the upper left of the photo, sky and water without the bright sun reflections. This seemed to smooth
the flicker out better.

But all of the images back in LR darkened down some from my original adjustments, especially the beginning which is way underexposed. The time lapse become closer to normally exposure about 40 per-cent in.

Why the darkening and how do I avoid it? Keep choosing different reference points? Also, your explanation did not use the "auto key frames transition" button ...

Thanks, Tom

First screen shot, before "delicker":

[attachment=57]

Second screen shot, after "deflicker"

[attachment=58]
It seems that you applied the deflicker on a already deflickered sequence. Please make sure the yellow curve is straight before applying deflicker (right mouse on exposure column, reset values)

Second - set the Smooth-Slider way more to the left, put the reference area on one of the black stones - the way you are doing it you are capturing the wave movements as flicker...