LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Holy Grail Sequence "Pumps" due to Blown Highlights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you shoot a Holy Grail Sequence right towards the sun, you will get blown highlights, no matter what you do. The sun is just too bright.
If you then change the shutter-time to compensate for the fact that it get's darker (or brighter on sunrise), you will increase (or decrease) the extent of the blown highlights as well. After leveling the sequence you might thus notice a "pumping" effect in the rendered video.

There are several approaches to reduce respectively eliminate this effect.
  1. When setting exposure, check the histogram. Make sure it is not clipped on the right side. This means to underexpose more.
  2. Make smaller steps: Instead of changing the camera values by one EV or more, change in smaller steps of 2/3 EV or even 1/3 EV. DslrDashboard and its Auto Holy Grail Feature can tremendously help with this.
  3. When editing the keyframes, pull down the Highlights in Lightroom to ease the clipping
  4. When rendering use "LRT Motion Blur Plus" to further smooth the transitions.
Hi Gunther,

I think I'm posting it not in a right place, but anyway, it relates to the Holy Grail method of working in LRTimelapse.
In my picture sequence I have 2,3, even 4 holy grail "jumps" during every next image Sad and I've tried all of the options to set up my keyframes, so the blue line (exposure line) will remain smooth, but unfortunately I couldn't do it, and the blue line is always changes from one "jumpy" position to another, depends how I'm changing my keyframes.
I've attached an image of how it looks like. If can explain me what should I do, or how should I set the keyframes to get my exposure line nice and smooth, I will appreciate that.
I was trying also to find something similar in this forum, but failed.
You can redirect me to someone who experienced the same problem.
Thank you!

[Image: image.png]
Hi, changes in Shutterspeed/ISO are very close to each other, did you perhaps shoot in Auto Mode? Additionally there seem to be a lot of flicker in the sequence, this does not combine well with the Holy Grail technique.
LRTimelapse relies on certain techniques when shooting, especially when doing the Holy Grail. One is to try to avoid flicker and the other is to make the adjustments only to one direction and with at least 10-20 frames in between.
I suggest you get yourself my ebook (see footer) to learn the basics. This sequence looks as if it would be hard to correct. Maybe the best option would be to get rid of all 2* and 3* keyframes and use no holy grail, only defliker to level everything.
Thank you for your answer, Gunther!
I was using a "third party" software for my Canon camera, which is called MagicLantern for shooting image sequences with an specific interval. But you can say that it was an auto mode for shooting. That's why there is a lot of flicker even every next image, which makes it very difficult to deflicker. And also this is my first time trying LRTimelapse as I read a lot of positive feedbacks about your software for timelapse shooting, and personally found it very convenient and easy in work, which I really like. But as you said, seems like it takes a special shooting technique to work on your image sequences in LRTimelapse program, which I need to know.
However, I will try to to deflicker my images as you proposed just because I have very beautiful sunsets which I really like and want to show them in the best way I can do.
Thank you for the tip!