LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Strange Colour (possibly WB) issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last week I was in London shooting a lot of Night Timelapse and noticed some strange things.....

I was shooting with a Nikon D7100 using the built in intervalometer and either a Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 or 17-55mm f/2.8

I was using the following settings;

ISO: 100
Shooting Mode: Manual with Aperture fully open (f/2.8 or f/3.5 depending on lens)
White Balance: Set at a set cool level usually around 2700K
Focus: Auto to Focus then switch to Manual for capture

Everything has come out pretty good, except for what I call the "Quick Fire" captures.

These are shots that are captured at less than a second exposure. Fast moving cars for example.

I set the Intervalometer to 1 second. No shots where missed, so the camera is taking the shot and writing to the card quick enough before taking next shot.

So, the problem?????

Some of the colour in the shots vary, which is usually noticed in the sky so when rendered there's flicker.

LTTimelapse can detect the flicker and setting the sky for it's reference and using Deflicker it makes it worse as it adjusts the exposure which is already correct.

I've looked at some of the shots and the difference can be equalised by adding between +1 and +5 of White Balance Tint. Which is going to take a while to fix.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue. As I said, it only happens when I'm using such a speedy capture so just wondering if the camera is miss capturing due to such a small interval.
Did you set the whitebalance to "As Shot" in Lightroom? I would recommend setting a fixed white balance for all images.

I experienced such shifts in WB when capturing the Milkyway with Nikon APS-C cameras like the D7000. Unfortunately it's hard to correct them, since the seem to come from the sensor (same WB setting for all images).

LRTimelapse is not able to "Deflicker" Whitebalance. But you can use the "LRT Plus Motion Blur" when exporting the video to smooth between frames, this will remove that effect quite reliably.
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Yes, I've tried to set all the shots to "As Shot", but in some shots, the sky is clearly "Greener" even though they all have the same fixed WB.

I'll give the Motion Blur a go to see if it corrects enough to be acceptable. It's not causing a big amount of flicker, but enough for it to cause a distraction to the eye.

If the Motion Blur doesn't hide it enough, then I'll just go through each shot and adjust the tint accordingly.

Thanks for the reply!
But please don't set all whitebalances to "As shot" since thy might vary. Set them to a custom value and apply that same custom value to all images.