LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: shooting against sun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

i am wondering how you get the detail out of blue sky, sun and landscape while shooting against the sun. is it polarfilter or gradient-nd that you use?

this video shows what i mean at 2:30.

anyone knows a technique?

Thanks!
Moritz
maybe bracketing HDR
Yes might be hdr, but generally graduated nd's give good results also, if you wanna avoid the hdr-workflow.

But be careful, i have found out in some tests with a photometer that all these square shape plastic graduated ND's don't block IR-light, so you might fry your camera.

My tip would be combining a glass-made ND (they filter out much more IR) with a graduated ND.

I know its getting complicated;-)
Hi,

What strength on ND-filter do you recommend to shoot directly into the sun as previously post?

Maybe a 10 stops filter with a graduated ND0, 9?

Or is it best to run HDR to get the perfect sun rays?

// Robin
One thing that comes to mind after viewing the clip. You could try shooting with a smaller aperture. Something like f11 that should cut down on the burst of light from the sun. With that said you might get more of a flare to your sun. You could also use one of the gradients and adjusted the exposure down to compensate for the sun. Hope this helps. Great video though!