LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Manual EOS / Nikkor Ramping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,
Yep I'm the newbie. I'm happy in my understanding of photography and just getting into the genre of timelapse. My set up is a bit different in that I'm using a Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 on an EOS 5DMkII and MkIII bodies using the Novaflex adapter. This basically means I have no auto focus nor electronic access to the Iris. To change the Iris on this adapter would definitely result in camera shake for sure as it slides around a collar of the adapter point of connection between the body and lens.

This means if I'm also starting a time lapse pointing somewhat in the vicinity of the sun for sunsets etc then there's no way I can start with a wide open iris. Even with ISO100 in the bright light of Bali where I live I am looking at a shutter of around 1/500th. As the sun sets I basically ramp down on the shutter and up on the ISO but I've yet to go through from daylight to stars.

Is this the right technique? Would also pausing the time lapse to then open the Iris have a discernible effect if a frame was lost in the process? Surely people would notice that Blip in the timeline?

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Mark.
I would just start wide open (just go for the short shuttertimes, that's the compromise you have to deal with) or stop only a little bit down and leave the iris in that position all the way until darkness. Change only Shutterspeed/ISO. Should get you going!
Don't stop the shooting, don't change the aperture.
Thanks mate, currently shooting in Lombok for a documentary and dealing with a real crappy connection. Will give that a bash and see where I go from there.

Cheers,
Mark