LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Milky Way Processing--Very Elementary Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am brand new to producing timelapse footage, and I am very excited about it. I have watched as many tutorials as I can, and I've read the e-book.

I have searched the forum, but I haven't found anything relating to this... Once I have all of my night time or milky way shots uploaded, I have a preset in LightRoom that helps me edit the night sky photos and really make the milky way pop. When I go to edit keyframes, can I use these presets to edit my key frames, or is there a better way to do this? These presets result in a dramatically different image than the unedited image, so I'm not sure what the best way(s) to edit milky way images for a timelapse is.

Is there a good explanation of the best way to process milky way images for use in a timelapse video? I absolutely love the milky way videos, and I've been into astrophotography for a few years now.
Regarding existant presets, please see here: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-may-...-lightroom

I'd suggest you learn editing the milky way on your own in Lightroom. I once made a screencase video where I showed it, but it's in German. Maybe you can figure out nevertheless:
http://gwegner.de/know-how/lightroom-tip...chstrasse/
Thank you for the reply. I look forward to getting out and creating something beautiful.
Hey Gunther,

I noticed you were shooting a nikon D7000 with an iso of 6400. From my experience I've always tried avoiding such a high iso with that camera because it introduces to much noise into the photograph.

Quick question for you - have you shot the milky way as a timelapse with that camera and settings? And if so, was the final shot production quality?

Cheers!
Hi, today you will certainly get slightly better quality with a D610 or 6D - but the D7000 has an awesome sensor, considered that it's already a couple of years old and easily holds up with the D7100 in terms of High ISO. If you can, don't go higher then 3200 ISO then you will get really good results with some post processing. My first film "African Skies 1" was entirely shot with the D7000 and D5100.
Thanks! Ill give that a shot.