LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: After reaching max shutter, DDB won’t change ISO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When shooting a sunset HG, DDB will slowing increase the time the shutter is open. But when the maximum shutter duration is reached, the ISO does not change. I have this more than 10 times.

It is important to note that this happens no matter how much extra time I give DDB before the next shot. For example, if maximum shutter is 10 seconds and I am shooting at a 30 second interval, I am giving DDB 20 seconds to control the camera, but DDB still won’t update the ISO.

I can get DDB to update the ISO only by stopping the Intervalometer. After waiting 5+ seconds, I start the intervalometer and the ISO updates, but DDB may stop updating the ISO again.

I am using the latest DDB with OTG USB interface to the latest Nexus 7 tablet. The camera is a Canon 5D Mark III.
Does your intervalometer start the next sequence right after the capture is complete (half way shutter press)?
If the shutter is halfway pressed on my Canon 650D the camera will not allow changes to properties (I presume this is the case with other Canon models).
qDD will continuously try to change the ISO but if the intervalometer puts the camera in AF (shutter halfway pressed) as you said after turning off the intervalometer it changed after 5sec (probably after last JPG was donwloaded and analyzed).

On my cheap intervalometer I can set the interval and delay and by combining the two I can set a delay that will cause the intervalometer to wait before it starts the next sequence (shutter half way pressed).
This is especially a problem with the original Canon intervallometers, reported by many users. The intervalometer just doesn't release the shutter. Use a "Pixel-Timer" or similar, those ones work like expected.
I suspected the intervalometer was the problem, but found it hard to believe. It turns out you are correct, the intervalometer prevents the camera from getting DDB updates.

I have two expensive Canon TC-80N3 Intervalometers, it is very disappointing they do not work correctly with DDB.

My eMotimo TB3 Black works, so I will use it when shooting HG TL. I'll consider the Pixel-Timer later, right now I'm busy packing for the Astro La Palma workshop.

Thanks,
Rich
Hi Rich,
yes, this is a common problem for canon users. There are some diy solutions that involve cutting one wire, just google for that, if you are interested in modding your timer.

See you on La Palma!
Best
Gunther
Wow, I wonder if this has been my issue all along? However dslrdashboard has been changing the values but not consistently enough over a long period. I don't have an official canon intervalometer, I have a cheap one from ebay, but I've never used the delay function, only interval of f.x. 10.

When one interval ends, the camera takes the image, shutter closes and intervalometer's led turns green, then the next interval starts do I have any way to tell if it's half way shutter press?

Should I just go ahead and use a delay of 2-3 seconds and then trim that of whatever interval I'd normally use, f.x. 10-3, 7 seconds interval when I want 10 seconds to be between shots?
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you aren't making sure there is at least 2 seconds between each exposure finishing and the next photo starting. This is clearly stated as a requirement for settings to change.
eg. If you have 12 seconds between each photo in the time lapse, the maximum length of the shutter being open is 10 seconds.

(2014-05-20, 00:38)Amra Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, I wonder if this has been my issue all along? However dslrdashboard has been changing the values but not consistently enough over a long period. I don't have an official canon intervalometer, I have a cheap one from ebay, but I've never used the delay function, only interval of f.x. 10.

When one interval ends, the camera takes the image, shutter closes and intervalometer's led turns green, then the next interval starts do I have any way to tell if it's half way shutter press?

Should I just go ahead and use a delay of 2-3 seconds and then trim that of whatever interval I'd normally use, f.x. 10-3, 7 seconds interval when I want 10 seconds to be between shots?
(2014-05-20, 08:20)nerdybails Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you aren't making sure there is at least 2 seconds between each exposure finishing and the next photo starting. This is clearly stated as a requirement for settings to change.
eg. If you have 12 seconds between each photo in the time lapse, the maximum length of the shutter being open is 10 seconds.
Oh sorry about the confusing post. I am definitely leaving more than 2 seconds between each shot.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but seems OP found his solution, so I am going to try and troubleshoot my issue, see if I can figure anything out.

My camera is a Canon 1100D. My intervalometer is this one

Tonight I set the interval on my intervalometer to 20s, and shutter speed was never higher than 6s in the LRtimelapse mode following the reference value. I also tried an interval of 15s & delay of 5s. Neither worked for a pro-longed period.
I wanted to test qDslrDashboard on a Windows 7 64bit laptop this time, by setting it to sunrise from quite early in the morning. However the program will not run consistent even on the laptop, it might make 1 or 2 changes to the shutter & then either crashes after a while (shows some error) or simply shuts down. Sometimes I was able to re-connect qDslrDashboard and get lr mode to run again without resetting the router, other times I was forced to reset the tp-link router.

I re-flashed the latest factory image on the V2 tp-link, without keeping settings & the only thing I changed was putting WPA2/PSK mixed mode on and a password for the wifi of the router.

Sometimes I've noticed that my camera is completely stuck 'downloading 3 images' and the only way out of that loop is disconnecting the tp-link router & rebooting it.

However it will not run consistently for a long duration, I want to be able to set it up & leave it alone for a few hours, ideally.

Can anyone tell me how long the battery for their router lasts? Are you able to use it an entire night without charging it?
I tried hooking up to an external power source to keep it completely powered, but it didn't help.

I thought maybe the cold was having an effect on it so I tried doing a timelapse shoot from inside, however it would also shut down after a while.
Think I was running it like 4h fully charged.

And yes if you have a delay function on you intervalometer use it for Canon.
Lets say if your interval is 20s and your max shutter speed is 15s there will be 5s.
But if the intervalometer puts the camera in 'half way pressed' right after the capture is finished qDD will not able to change the shutter speed or iso even if there is 5s before the next capture.
Okay I took a proper look at the delay function on my intervalometer and it seems it's useless for this purpose. The delay is just a one-time use for the inital start of the shooting session, and then it's not used anymore.

I don't think my intervalometer puts it in half-way pressed, since I have successfully changed the shutter etc. between shots.

Maybe my router is faulty, or the issue is with the camera. Is anyone else having problems with the Canon 1100D?