LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Controlling focus in a timelapse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. I have successfully connected my Nikon D300s to my android tablet and dslrdashboard. I really want to find an effective way of controlling the focus in a timelapse! Right now I'm doing it manually with ok result. I see that dslrdashboard has a nice option for controlling the focus in live view, but I can't figure out how to make the focus not change automatically between shots if I'm in AF-S. Right now I know how to make it autofocus before each shot, or after each shot. But I want to make small changes in steps between each shot, without the camera to refocus in every shot based on the position of the focus point.

Example: If I focus on an object 1m away. I want to be able to gradually change focus to an object 100m (or something like that) away. Right now I can't do this, because everytime I press the capture button, the camera refocus either before the shot, or after. The focus bracketing feature seems like it is limited to 100 shots, so I have not testet it much.

Any ideas? Smile

Cheers!
Is this something that could be integrated in the lrtimelapse mod of the dslrdashboard app? Smile
I made this today:
https://vimeo.com/96953772
(password: fokus)

I want to do this without having to touch the camera Smile
Focus ramping is currently not possible during time lapse I think.
Hmm, ok. Guess I have to do it the old way than Smile
But it would be an awesome feature to a great solution!
+1 - focus-ramping would be awesome, and seems within reach given DDB's capabilities. Perhaps a worthy "premium" feature?
This would be cool.

But, I think a lot of us use manual lenses or the twist off trick so it wouldn't work in a lot of shots Sad

Probably why most of the solutions out there are focus motor based.
Focus movement could be done the problem is that the focus can be moved by the application only while the camera is in live view.
So every time qDD will need to switch on live view, move the focus and finally exit live view. This all takes time so probably the smallest interval would be around 5-6 sec (maybe even more).
Not to mention the immense battery drain from live view and switching back and forth!

This may be a completely obvious suggestion, but have you considered a focus pulling ring for the lens barrel with a follow focus? Perhaps a bit cumbersome to set up, but you could mark out your focus adjustments and do it "by the numbers". This should minimize camera shake and disturbance. Just a thought.
Pages: 1 2