LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Flicker Issue with Holy-Grail Workflow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Equipment:
  • Camera: Nikon D7000
  • Lens: Nikor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Tplink Router MR3040 v2

Camera Configuration For Shot:
  • Focal Length: 50mm
  • F-stop 4.8
  • ISO range 100-2000
  • Exposure range: 1/1000 to 15"
  • Interval 27 sec
  • Image Output: Raw/small jpg

I recently visited Olympic National Park to shoot a time-lapse using the holy grail method. Everything was going great and I had my camera synced up to qDslrDashboard via my tplink router and enabled the Auto Holy Grail feature. It appeared to be working correctly for about 30 mins and then the (Last average and Floating Average) were not updating between shots. After not updating for about 6 shots the program then displayed a new image with new averages. Granted my exposures were getting longer - I did take that into account and adjusted my interval accordingly a head of time so the camera did have enough time to buffer in between shots. After getting home I tried compiling the images with LRT Time Lapse 3 Trial version. I followed along with Gunther’s tutorial of post-process holy-grail shots. After completing the shots in post I then compiled the images into the final movie. The final out of the movie had great deal of flicker and banding going on. I’m trying to figure out if it something I did wrong or if it’s a limitation issue with the trial software. Any feedback would be great.

On a side note, I found that shots taken at ISO 2000 were very grainy. This may have contributed to the problem I was having with the flicker? A little advice for newbies like myself – Do some test shots and see how your camera performs at higher ISO. In my case, anything higher than ISO 1600 was unusable. A Nice camera will allow you to shoot in the 6400 range but if you have a mid-range camera like mine you have to work within the limitations. Gunther if you’re reading this it might not be a bad idea to give some further explanation in the subject with a tutorial Smile

Thank you.
Update.

I think I found the solution to my problem after reading Gunther ebook. The flickering was caused by the initial shutter speed value I had set. Because it was set at 1/1000 of second my sequence was suffering from the staccato effect. I highly recommend checking out his book before shooting a holy-grail-sequence there is a lot of useful information in there.

Cheers!