LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Recommend cheap phone/tablet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a cheap older phone or tablet that works well with DSLR dashboard via USB /OTG ?

I have a HTC one m7 which works great but whilst im shooting im normally playing with it to passs time Smile

I picked up a 2nd hand galaxy s3 mini but wont work with USB Sad
I've only used this with wifi, not usb... but...I can tell you that the Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - 8GB works fine with it. They may not be any cheaper than the tab 3 model. Somewhere under $200. Like $150 - $190 Check Amazon or Craigslist for a used one.
Thanks Ill have a look.

Unfortunately no craigs list in New Zealand and electronics tend to be a bit costly here...

Anyone had any success with a Samsung Galaxy S 2 ?
AFAIK the new qDslrDashboard needs Android 4 - so you would have to use a rooted with Cyanogenmod or similar.
I would recommend the Nexus 7, in my opinion that's the best option.
Thanks Gunther, Nexus 7's are not that cheap over here even 2nd hand ones, phone would be smaller to carry with as well.

I just tested the s2 (old phone) already has a custom rom works perfect so that will save me Smile
Yep I'm still with a S2 and works (actually it was the first phone that had USB host). Only draw back is the small screen and resolution
I would also recommend the Nexus 7 (2012 or the 2013 model). Constant updates from Google, no bloatware and works nice.
OK you won me over with the nexus talk

I was able to get a 1st gen for a pretty good price.

Thanks for the advice Smile