LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Warp Stabilizer in AE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a few shaky clips that I need to stabilize. The problem is that it's mostly sky and very little land, so AE gets confused and stabilizes the sky instead and the land drifts away. It's fun to watch, but not very useful... :-) I've tried using the motion tracker, but that didn't work very well either.

I've heared that the solution is to draw a frame around the object that you want to stabilize, put it in a pre-composition and stabilize that – but I don't have a clue on how to do that! Can anyone help please!
Using the Warp Stablizer is a good choice. I use it myself when I need to clean up a shot. One thing you could try is exporting your sequence uncropped from LRTimelapse. This can be done by opening LRTimelapse under the Application Settings uncheck Set 16:9 Crop when Initializing sequence. Now you can run your sequence through lrtimelapse and export your sequence uncropped. By doing this, AE will now have more information in the picture for the Warp Stabilizer to calculate Also in the warp stabilizer setting make sure under Method you have Position, Scale and Rotation selected.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, but I already import uncropped RAW images into AE and crop it there. The problem is that the portion of the picture I need to stabilize is very small. At a rough estimate I would say 70% sky, 25% water and the remaining 5% is a narrow strip of land that I need to isolate and track in some way. I've searched Youtube for tutorials, and if I find a good solution I'll post it... :-)
Yeah, let us know if you find a good tutorial/solution as I would like to know the same thing.

-Matt
I'm just exploring this issue myself and found a good lead in this 2-minute tutorial on AE's "point tracker", a feature now well-hidden behind the newer, more fully automated warp stabilizer:

https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/s...nt-tracker

Basically, the point tracker allows you to define the feature that you'd like to stabilize in frame. Unlike the warp stabilizer, it doesn't synthesize edge pixels, so leaving the crop to the end of your workflow seems especially helpful.
There is a tutorial. I forgot where I found it, but the concept is basically what the official tutorial teaches
(http://tv.adobe.com/watch/after-effects-...tabilizer/)

It's is very, very easy to do.

After you import your sequence yadda yadda:

1) In you main comp, select your sequence and make a pre-comp
2) In the precomp, create a new layer mask (default black)
3) Select the mask tool (the rectangle thing in the top) and draw a mask around the area you want to stabilize. I think you will need to select the mask and make it inverted.
[You don't have to do it this way, but basically you create a black mask over everything you DON'T want warp stabilizer to see]
4) Go back to the MAIN comp. It should show your precomp with the masking. Now put WS on it.
5) After WS has finished, go to pre-comp and remove mask.
6) Profit.

Basically all you need to do is make a pre-comp, use it to mask off all the unwanted areas, then apply WS to the main comp.
Easy peasy. You can also make multiple masks if WS has a problem with the area you selected, sometimes it helps to have a bunch of defined areas.