LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Tethered vs SD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking very hard about picking up a netbook for my vacation next year. I want to be able to shoot some time lapse, but don't have many large capacity high speed SDHC cards for my D3200. If I were to shoot PTP tethered would the USB transfer rate be fast enough to keep up with shooting? The camera is capable of 4 FPS, but I don't think I would ever be shooting many time lapses that fast. The slow shutter exposures take a while to save on some of my cheaper cards, so I was hoping the tethered shooting method might be my way out. Can anyone advise me on this?
If your slow shutters take too long that might be because of "Noise Reduction for Long time Exposure" set to ON. Better turn it off!

I'd recommend buying another memory card, they are not expensive anymore and you don't need the fastest ones for timelapse.
Ah ha! Noise reduction WAS on. I can always fix that in Lightroom. Thanks.
Be careful with turning that long exposure noise reduction off. You have a Nikon so things may be different that with my Canon 5DMII, but I was exposing for 2-3 seconds once and I had forgotten to turn the LENR feature on. What happens in such a case is not noise as we usually see it, especially in the shadow area, but clusters of colored pixels that cannot be removed by any filters in LR (at least that I know of). Those clusters are randomly located so it would also be impossible to removes them with the clone/heal tool on all images from your sequence at once. I had several dozens of them on each image anyway so the task would have taken days to remove them all (was not for time lapse work, but I still had a dozen "good" images). You may want to do a test with long exposures first, and especially check the shadows because that's where most of that noise is located.
Ok, I guess I'll just have to get out some time and try it both ways.
Yeah you have to check the sensor. I know D800 and D7000 had hot pixel issues.
D600/D610 was ok.

That is why I would get D610 over D800 - because you can leave LENR off on the D600.
D800 has horrible noise if you leave LENR off.
That's not necessarily the case. I shoot with LENR off all the time with D600/D610, D800, D7x00, D5x00 and get really good results. In practice you just cannot go for long exposures and rather short intervals and have the NR on...
(2014-07-29, 21:07)scotchtape Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you have to check the sensor. I know D800 and D7000 had hot pixel issues.
D600/D610 was ok.

That is why I would get D610 over D800 - because you can leave LENR off on the D600.
D800 has horrible noise if you leave LENR off.
Got to know as well. I'll keep that in mind when I hit the lotto.

(2014-07-30, 18:41)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]That's not necessarily the case. I shoot with LENR off all the time with D600/D610, D800, D7x00, D5x00 and get really good results. In practice you just cannot go for long exposures and rather short intervals and have the NR on...
Thanks gwegner. I'm still getting used to shooting digital. That was one nice thing about film... No noise.
Quote:That was one nice thing about film... No noise.

Really? ;-)
Maybe no noise with ISO 100 films - but then you don't get noise on digital with ISO 100 as well.
But have you ever shot a ISO 1600 film? :-)