LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: suggestions for a smooth pan-only intervalometer unit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

As Gunther says in his Emotimo video, once you've shot lots of static time lapses, you want to move to motion. I'd like to start panning!

I can't afford an Emotimo at the moment, so I'm looking for advice on pan-only units (that of course also offer an intervalometer).

I spent a day in London yesterday with a CamRanger controlled PT360 (price: around £250, with CamRanger interface unit). Sadly, it's not a good way to go, as it's not accurate when moving very small distances (and it wobbles in the wind). The resulting videos have a slightly jerky motion, definitely not acceptably smooth. I don't want to slag it too much, it is a cool unit if you just want to position your camera remotely (a wildlife photog friend of mine is photographing kingfishers with it).

I've read about both the Alpine Labs "Radian" and the Mindarin "Astro". Does anyone know if they offer accurate, smooth, and small movements? The prices are right. Any other units out there that may be a good way to go?

Prices around £250 are about as high I can go. If there are no options at this price point, I'll have to start saving for an Emotimo (or competitor).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chas
Do a search on the Flow-Mow,,and yes it can handle a DSLR with no problems,,
2 hr Pan = 120 min = 720 sec =20 sec per degree of rotation,,,no motor,,light,,wind up,,can be put on mini pocket tripod,,wind to any degree you want to start and stop,,mine works very well.
Chas
Go for a analog eggtimer if one Hour Is enough.
Its much cheaper thAn the Flow mo and does almost the same.
I glued a tripod screw on top to mount the cam... Works perfect

http://www.amazon.de/Fackelmann-41936-Ku...rds=Eieuhr
Hi Chas,,,this is the Flow-Mow,,when it came I had to try it out not knowing if it would handle the weight of a DSLR and lens,,as you can see I've built a camera power supply hooked up to a 12 volt Gel-Cell battery,,only wanted a 90 degree pan so wound it to that mark,,set the intervalometer to 1 sec TL and let it go,,30 FPS were just a bit to fast so re-did it in QT at 20 FPS,,no problem handling a DSLR and lens,,will play with it a bit more and put it on my slider for a 2 camera motion TL,,am a DIYer so get enjoyment doing both,,good luck,,

http://justphotos.zenfolio.com/p692829501#h126d4314
There's this Syrp Genie mini coming up june, which does exactly what you are looking for, i'm pretty tempted,considering its price $249, is it worth buying?
This product looks interesting - Syrp Genie - how would one use this with, say the qDslr dashboard and LRTimelapse Holy Grale shooting method?
I've got the SYRP Genie Mini, in fact I tested it for the company along with a few others. Solid solution is all I can say and within your budget.
Cheers,
Mark
A 8mm fisheye lens can also do the job. Just make the pan in post, it works pretty well even for 4K timelapses.
Old thread that I accidentally didn't subscribe to (so I didn't notice that you'd all replied). Many thanks to everyone for all the info, sorry it's taken me so long to write this!

Just fyi: I'm using a Dynamic Perception StageR to do my panning.
I have been using the Radian from Alpine labs. It is a shoot-move-shoot device that is programed with your mobile phone. $280 US