LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Changing settings during Holy Grail.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly I must say that LRTimelapse with the E-book and the tutorials is an amazing resource, so thanks to Gunther for that.
I now want to shoot a Holy Grail sequence. I've watched the tutorial and carried out some experiments so that I'm ready when I do a shoot. I'm using a Pentax K5, with the built in intervalometer. My problem is that I seem unable to change the shutter speed while the camera is shooting the sequence. As I'm using a manual lens would it still have the same effect if I change the aperture instead.
Just use an external intervalometer. It's the same for some other cameras, they just lock the settings when using the internal timer.
I kind of have the same problem. Just bought my new Pentax K-3. Before with my old canon 450d i could use the tp-link connected to DSLRdashboard and use lrtimelapse and it was great to bump shutter speed when making holy grails!

With the k-3 the story is different...

What kind of intervalometer lets me change the shutter speed on a Pentax k-3?
I got one external but i cant plug it in anywhere, and it cant change the aperture, it only lets me set time, shots and so on my 450d.

Im really frustrated about the lacks of the K-3 when it comes to making holy grail sequences so if you got any tips for me i would be very greatfull Sad
The external intervalometer should not set any settings on the camera, all settings are set on the camera directly.
The intervalometer should only shortly release the shutter in defined intervals.
I don't know much about the Pentax, but you should be able to use the pixel timer, just buy a connector cable for pentax (default release cable):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404V...AEKOBKPC56
The problem I had on the K5 was that all the camera settings were locked when using the internal intervalometer. As suggested by Gunther I purchased an external intervalometer, this attaches to the K5 by the Cable Release Terminal, providing that you have the correct cable. This allowed me to change any settings on the camera, as fully explained in the E-Book, or the excellent tutorials. The K3 has exactly the same Cable Release Terminal. The intervalometer will take care of the shutter operation, any changes to the settings need to be done manually. When I did my first sunset trial, I used a 3 second interval, I found this to be ample time to carefully change the shutter speed.
Ah yes thats exactly the problem i got. I find the Pentax not very well made for timelapse as i test it now.

Do you mind telling me what kind of intervalometer you got and what kind of input the k-5 got ?

If its possible i will buy a external one for the k-3 but i cant find any that has done it on the internet, so im starting to think it might not be possible... I got one external already but its mini-jack and i dont have that connection on k-3 only usb 3.0 and im not sure if it will work with adapter...
I don't see any problem at all with using a Pentax for timelapse.
The Intervalometer that I'm using, is a Pixel TC-252 / E3 (the E3 comes with the correct cable for several different cameras, including the Pentax).
This connects to the Pentax K7,K5 and K3 via the cable switch terminal. If you look from the back of the camera, this terminal is on the right hand side, below the dual card cover. This intervalometer definitely works on the K3, I've just tried it.
Ah yes thank you Smile I found it yesterday right after writing so i felt a bit stupid i must say!

There is one problem using the pentax k-3 as far as i know and that is that it does not have any way to take timelapse and adjust shutter speed without doing it manually... That said i have not tried the Flucard, and maybe you could do it with the software it gives you. But this does not give you any histogram unfortunately.

I would like to keep using the DSLRdashboard, but for now i cant find any way to make that work. Do you got any tip for how to solve this NightRail?
Changing the shutter speed manually works OK for me at the moment. If you want to try any other method, I'm afraid I can't help you. You'll have to research it yourself.