LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: iPad help with DslrDashboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope some kind person can throw some light on my workflow using an iPad and a 5DIII.

When in the LRT module of qDD I can capture and image and access the next JPG.

I can initiate a timelapse.

However, when I then press Holy Grail the JPGs do not update automatically.

I am shooting at 1 sec at the start, with an interval of 10 secs.

I have selected RAW + the smallest JPEG.

Something is not going right, as I though when auto Holy grail button was on, I would see JPEG updates (and hence histogram updates) every frame.

Can someone spot what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Garry
When in "Auto Holy Grail" mode, qDDB will normally display every second or every third frame - depending of the settings. But it needs enough time to download the image inbetween the shots. Some external intervalometers just block the camera too long - you might want to try the internal time of qDDB, just to see, if that makes a difference.
Make sure to set the parameters in a way, where the longest camera exposure is still 3 to 4 seconds below the interval setting to allow the camera to transfer the preview to the tablet. Set RAW+JPG and use the smalles JPG setting in the camera, that you can find.
There is a very good documentation on http://dslrdashboard.info now as well!
Gunter

Pleased to say I got the Auto Holy Grail running with qDD: that is the AHG changed the exposure during a sunrise test. So far so good...however...I still have a couple of questions that I hope you or Zoltan can sort out for me.

During the AHG run the image never updated. I have S3 JP and RAW selected. My longest shutter was 4 secs and my interval was 15 sec. I don't understand why the AHG wasn't updating every few frames, as I believe it should. JUST RECHECKD THIS AND ALL OK :-)

Also, when the AHG button is active, the shutter button is greyed out and can't be changed. Is this correct? On you video the shutter button looks usable when you have AHG button on.

Cheers and, once again, thanks to you and Zoltan for a fantastic solution.
I hope this helps others
and I hope I can finally get all the bugs out of qdslr and get it to work.
Here are some of the issues I have come across.
I have tried 3 times to use qdsl and have failed for various reasons.
my equipment-
Canon 1dx
emotimo TB3
DP slider
TP-link
new iPad

1st attempt:
connected qDD and started auto holy Grail.
I have learned from past attempts with dslrd that I cannot connect my camera to the emotimo without first connecting to dslrd, this is true for the new version of qdd.
Everything seemed to be working perfectly ( I was so excited-what a great software app!)
about 10 mins into the time-lapse my camera froze (blue spinning circle in the viewfinder) The only way to un-freeze is to remove the battery and restart the camera. (The reason the camera froze is because the iPad went to sleep. I just determined this in my last , 3rd attempt. The solution-I hope- is to go to settings>general> auto lock> never...)

2nd attempt
Had numerous camera freeze ups
When I connected the camera to the qdslr app the AHG was not available . Also the screen was black. The iPad also froze and need to be restarted.

The solution to this seems to be restarting the TP Link. also the wireless has to be shut off and reconnected on the iPad.
this requires disconnecting the camera from the emotimo until connection is established.

3rd attempt.

Had numerous camera freeze ups- This is when I realized the iPad going to sleep was the cause.
I was not able to get the AHG to work and had to change the settings manually.

I need to try again with the iPad set to not sleep- I will let you know how it goes. I hope this will allow me to use the auto holy grail feature

Aloha!
follow up-
4th attempt.
SUCESS!
I'm so happy! The app worked perfectly.
Key points.
connect dd server
settings> general> sleep> never
connect camera to qDD before plugging into emotive
begin emotive
go to AHG

Note to self--- try this in your backyard before hiking an hour and scaling a cliff over the ocean and then having to climb back down in the dark....without a time-lapse to show for your efforts....
Quote:Note to self--- try this in your backyard before hiking an hour and scaling a cliff over the ocean and then having to climb back down in the dark....without a time-lapse to show for your efforts....

Always a good idea!

Glad you've got it running. I hope when Apple finally releases the next version on the Store, the never sleep will work always, like it does on Android.
Any luck with this? I'm having the same issues with qdslr dashboard on my iOS device, connecting to Canon 6D. I can get it connected just fine but the AHG doesn't seem to be kicking in with exposure adjustments and it's not giving me any preview frames Sad
That's interesting we've just recently being using it on exactly that combination and everything worked. Can you get the camea into Liveview (on the main qDDB screen?) - can you shoot and get the image displayed there?
Figured it out. My iOS device was set to refresh email every 15 min which was interfering with my camera's wifi, cutting off the camera to device connection.
I just put in an order for an LG G Pad to use exclusively with dslr dashboard.
Once again, thanks for your prompt chime-in.
I've got perfect working system with DSLR Dashboard, TPLINK, IPAD3 and 5D3.
My recommendiations:

- disable all powersaving features on Ipad
- set quality to RAW + JPG (S1) on 5D3
- IPAD should have min. 5-8 seconds to download JPG (time between mirror close up and next shot)
- use fast CF cards

I've got also 2 Anker Astro 20000mAh batteries used to power 5D3 with my self made converter and TPLink and sometimes Ipad.

My external battery for Canon.