LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Exposure time – the more the better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am a bit uncertain regarding the best exposure times for time lapse sequences. Usually I love using long exposure times, but when I recently shot a sequence with an exposure time of 6 seconds and an interval of 8 seconds, I noticed that the processed video was very unsmooth. Maybe the interval was too long? I am aware of the 180 degree rule, but must admit that I thought that an even shorter pause between the end of the exposure and the next shutter (in this case 2 seconds) would result in even smoother motion. Was I wrong?
That rises the question if to avoid too long exposure times in oder to set a better interval. But more importantly, might long pauses between exposure ending and next shutter (but shorter interval) sometimes work better than short pauses between exposure ending and next shot (but longer interval).

To clarify my question I give you one example: Imaging that in a given situation (e.g. moving clouds) I figured out that an interval of 5 seconds should be best. Since I only have my ND1000 filter with me I cannot reach the best exposure time of 2.5 seconds (would be too dark). So I am wondering what to do:
Option A: Use the ND filter and increase exposure time (e.g. to 6 seconds) and therefore increase the interval (e.g. 8 seconds).
Option B: No use of the ND filter and set exposure time to a smaller value (e.g. 0.5 seconds) and leave the interval at 5 seconds (or to improve, reduce the interval to 4 seconds).
What would be better?

Any answers would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Maybe the camera missed frames because the 2seconds darktime was too short.
I'd use the ND filter, just check out how long you can go with the exposure time.
Thanks for your reply!

"Maybe the camera missed frames because the 2seconds darktime was too short. [...]"

I should check this, indeed! I did not notice any remarkable long "silence" during the session – however, I am going to verify that.
Thank you very much!
You should use a nd filter to adjust the right exposure and interval, smoothness will depend on the interval and the speed at which the main subject of your Timelapse is moving. Normal speed clouds at 5 secs interval and 2.5 seca exposure is just my favourite combo. Faster interval the faster the clouds move.

Allow for at least 3 seconds iddle time between your exposure and interval.

Cheers,
Alfonso