LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Day night time lapses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm interesting about timelapses with transitions from day to night, with the Stars and Milky Way in the night. I have a Canon 6D and this camera have a maximun shutter speed 1/4000. I planning to shoot with a Samyang 14mm/2.8 manual lenses with the aperture set to 2.8, then at day is possible that I overexpose (white picture), but 2.8 is the correct aperture for night and Mily Way capture.

The only solution is to use a ND filter, but I read that this have the trouble of remove the filter and vignetting, etc. But I can't find the correct solution, specially if I want a blur in the water (if the lanscape is near the sea for example).

It's not possible to do anithing in this situation?.

Sorry for my English.

Jose
Why don't you start with a aperture closed a bit and then gradually ramp the aperture manually. With the Samyang you won't get flicker. qDDB can then take over with auto ramping once you reached the largest aperture.
(2015-04-24, 09:54)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you start with a aperture closed a bit and then gradually ramp the aperture manually. With the Samyang you won't get flicker. qDDB can then take over with auto ramping once you reached the largest aperture.

Hi Gunther,

Mmmm, but in this case Gunther, to ramp the aperture manually, how fast it is necessary to change?...

Today I made a test with qDslr and three way holy gray with a Day to night sequence, only for test if my Android device it is enough stable. This test I made not in live view mode (it is necessary the live view?), and I see this:

First at all, qDslr change the shutter speed, when reatches the min shutter speed configured, qDsrl changes the aperture, and the, when reaches the max aperture changues the ISO.

But in this test how I can know if the ISO will come to 3200 that is the ISO than I need to capture the Milky Way at night. Because in this test the ISO only arrive to 2000.

Another question it is the functionallty of Set Reference button and -/+ button, because when press the -/+ it is difficut to see how often I need to press this buttons..., only in the next average picture downloaded I can see any changue...

Thanks and sorry for all this questions, but I need to know the qDslr functionality to make a decision about to buy RamperPro or if this qDslr is a good opportunity...

Jose
The ISO will get raised depending on a) the max ISO setting and b) the reference value set. If you reached ISO 2000 and then the avg stays above the reference all the time, then there will be no more adjustments.

Changing the reference with the +/- buttons won't have immediate impact. It will change the reference value (displayed at top) in comparison to the avg value in 10% steps. So if you feel you images/histograms are getting too dark, increase the reference, if you feel they are too bright, decrease the reference. Of course then it will take some shots until those changes get reflected.
Thanks again Gunther,

Some little questions:

Is better the holy gray with the Live view mode of camera selected?. Because if I don't use the live view mode, the slider can shutter the camera, but in live view mode it's not possible with the Canon 6d (i tested again and it's not possible). Whats the difference between use the qDsrl holy Gray with or without live view mode?

If I use the two ways Holy Gray (ISO and shutter sppeed) and change manually the aperture of the Samyang, when I can chosse the time for change, and at that time will not occur a flicker?

Thanks Gunther.

Jose
Live View mode does only make sense for some Nikon cameras, because it allows flicker free aperture adjustment. On Canon, you should turn off live view!

You should be able to change Aperture manually on the Samyang while ramping the other values automatically. I've never tried it, but it should work.
Thanks Ghunter.
Good question and thread. I've been looking for this.

My main issue is trying toachive the seamless day to night or night to day transitions with a wide aperture during the night at high iso and long shuttter speeds and the opposite (particularly narrow aperture) so that you get a good sunburst. How are we meant to adjust it in time or will DslR dashboard do it in time? Sometimes the transition is so quick I can't imagine it would suddenly change everything.
I'm not sure if I understand the question. You can have qDDB adjusting everything (Aperture/ISO/Shutter) like explained here: http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/true-hol...o-ramping/
I meant that if I am doing night to day for example 0400-0600 at sunrise then the changes would be very quick and I can't see the way dSLR dashboard would adjust the settings quickly enough to adjust the ISO all the way down from say 3200 to 100 and the aperture from say f2.8 to f11 to get a starburst and the shutter from 25-30s to about 1/30 for example.

It all seems very slow given the very quick light changes but somehow there must be a way judging by the way people do it.
Pages: 1 2