LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Sony Timelapse App (Alpha 5000)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning everyone,

i was wondering if anyone uses the Sony Alpha 5000 (or similar) combined with the Sony Timelapse app for shooting timelapses. I am thinking about buying one as a second device to timelapse with (more is always better Wink ) and cant find enough informations about the app.

I know, i can set everything to manual in this application, but is it still possible to change exposure and ISO settings during the shots for a manual holy grail?

Moreover ive read at some point, that the timelapse app only shoots in JPG, which is not sufficient for me. Its RAW or nothing.

So if anyone can share some thoughts about the sony timelapse app, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks and have a great day
dominik
I'd rather recommend getting a Nikon D5300 and use it with qDslrDashboard. That might save you lots of trouble and you'll have integrated WiFi too and a very good sensor for the price.
Thanks for the respond Gunter.

I dont care about the WIFI at all and i already have my "big" Canon DSLR. The reason why i was asking for the Sony app is, that the Alpha 5000 is a very handy and small camera that i could also use as my "have it always with me" camera.
But ofc when there is nothing else to shoot, i want my second cam also do be able to do timelapses ;-)
Especially for doing time lapses the WiFi ist great. But you heard my recommendation. I don't know of any Sony user that is really happy with his cam for shooting time lapse. Sony has great ideas but they often mess up by adding proprietary stuff that later on causes problems.
Thank you. Never had a camera with WIFI and never missed so far. didnt think about the wifi connection to qDSLR. I will think about it Smile
Hey there
I've got a Sony nex-6 which should use the same app as the A500. First off, be aware that the app needs to be purchased and buying it might be a pain. I had to get sony playstation vouchers from the US in order to get credit for the website as they didn't allow paypal / debit cards at that point.

The app itself is not that bad but it's not great either, they've done some updates on the software so that you can now shoot in raw and so that it may track light changes during sunset / sunrise. After 2 years of intermittent use I still haven't figured out how to use the tracking option satisfactorily. The biggest drawback to the app is exactly the question you asked, one cannot change any settings on the cam once timelapse has started, iso shutter speed and aperture are fixed unless using tracking in shutter / aperture priority modes. This means that you have to start new tl whenever you need to make changes and lose a few shots. Furthermore, the screen will remain on the entire time that you do your tl, draining battery. This might have been fixed in the latest version of the sony timelapse app (1.4) but I haven't tested it out yet to confirm.

If you get a sony you can always use qDslrDashboard with it as Gunther recommends, that's what I am planning to try as soon as I can. Zoltan (qDslrDashboard developer) said a5000 works with app but only via wireless. Download the app from his website or via appstore for apple, the android playstore version is outdated.
thanks a lot for your response! i think i just have to try it to see if it is something i can use (or not). fortunately i just found out that a friend of mine owns an A5000 so he will borrow me his and im going to test the timelapse app and also qDSLR Dashboard. I will give feedback here once i was able to test it.
That would be great.
Hi there, just thought to share my a6000 timelapse experience.

I have been doing some timelapse with my a6000 and the sony timelapse app. I have to say i´m happy to have this camera in addition to my Nikons, since its always with me and the timelap app works reasonably well. Also it´s extremely fast to get started, so whenever i need to start as quickly as possible before loosing the scene, i use the a6000 and sony app.

The app lets you ajust everything you need and has a good tracking function (3 different sensitivity modes) for changing light conditions.
So even for sunset timelapse the app is good, but i prefer to use my Nikon and qDD for those things.

It works well with qDD and qDD´s internal timer. The only thing which doesn´t work is using an external timer with qDD controling ISO and Shuttertime.
I already posted this problem in the qDD forum and i think Zoltan is working on it.

So if you are travelling light, this is quite a good setup.

If you want the best image quality in challening conditions with high contrast, better go with a D5300 or D7100, since they have better dynamic range.

Hope that helps,
Christoph