LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Dehaze induces flicker in HG timelapses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Just tested out the new Dehaze tool in Lightroom, it works great when the camera settings stay the same, but in HG workflow be aware that it can induce some major flickering when the camera setting changes (even with small dehaze values)

Here are examples with Dehaze value set to 0 (no flickering, just natural changes between pictures), 10, 20 and 50. The sequence was deflickered with LRTimelapse Visual deflicker tool.

[Image: dehaze%200.jpg] [Image: dehaze%2010.jpg] [Image: dehaze%2020.jpg] [Image: dehaze%2050.jpg]

The camera setting changes from 0"5 to 0"6 second exposure on that moment. I have done some other postprod on theses pictures in Lightroom but dehaze seems to be the cause of flickering here. I don't think it's a clipping issue cause I've used ETTR and the parts where the flicker is visible is not only on hihlights.

EDIT : that also seems to be connected to the white balance. Whith a white balance of 5000 to 7000, there doesn't seem to induce too visible flicker (even with dehaze at 50), but with a higher white balance, that problem start coming (not good for sunsets or sunrises timelapses)

PS for Gunther: There are no option to add attachement images when creating a thread in that section of the forum.
Those "magical" tools in Lightroom like dehaze and clarity etc. are content sensitive. That means that they work differently on bright then on dark images. And this might introduce weird effects when using the holy grail method.
So make sure to use it only in little amounts and shoot the holy grail with 1/3 stop adjustments, to make the steps as small as possible.

Please read this article too: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
I can confirm that dehaze adds a change in whats seems like white balance randomly over a few frames when used in values of about 15-20 or higher. I have not really had any issues with clarity. It is a pitty, its a pretty powerful tool.
The only thing you could do is to complain about this to Adobe, even if I'm pretty sure that it won't help...
I'm not complaining, it's just a pitty as it is a great tool! Your product is amazing Gunther!
I was not meaning to say that you were complaining ;-) It's just that Adobe normally don't listen to us time lapse freaks since we are not their target audience... :-)
I've just published a blog post regarding the new dehaze tool: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
I struggled with this problem for hours, trying to figure out where the apparent white balance problem was coming from. 'Patches' of frames with what appeared to be a white balance shift were appearing in my lightroom sequence but were not in the raw files, would not show on LRTimelapse visual preview nor were there any changes to the values from frame to frame. This was not a holy grail sequence but entirely manual for all settings and locked throughout. Once I changed the dehaze I had at around 40 for graduated filters changing angle during the sequence, the problem appears to be gone. Thanks for the info and especially addressing this problem in news.
You should update your DNG Converter to the latest version, then you will see the effect in the visual previews too.
Thanks very much for the support Gunther.
Pages: 1 2