LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: how do you deal with lens condensation, dew and when shooting timelapses?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

When shooting in southern environments, near the coast or low temperature, I find that the high heat and humidity causes my lenses to fog or condensate (on the exterior) when going from inside air conditioning to the outside.

Once fogged, it is impossible to get rid of it. I can't clean it because when shooting timelapses you will need to clean it over and over, you will move the lens, etc. I can clean it once with a microfiber cloth, and it continues to fog again and again.

Does anyone have any advice on:
1) how to avoid fogging over the timelapse?
2) how to clear the fog from the lens more efficiently and effectively?
3) How do I keep dew or Frost from building up on the lens?
The temperature of the lens only needs to be a little warmer than the outside temp to keep it dew and frost free, I need a device that can accomplish that.

I once saw a device, a battery operated lens warmer, a sort of strap that surrounded the lens which together with a small battery it kept the lens warm and it prevented the fog.ยก, but I can't find the link.

Any experience with this kind of devices? Any recommendation?

Any recommendation on whcih one to use? Any link/help about it?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Alfonso
Yes, get a lens heater, you can get it from Astronomy supply shops.
gwegner What do you think about regular "Hand warmers" without power supply?

When will fogging actually occur? For example I plan to shoot a milky way timelapse in Namibia this August. The nights are dry and the temperature is about 0 degree Celsius. Will I experience fogging problems? Do you suggest me to heat the lens in any way?
Hi Achim, In Namibia, I didn't experience those problems at all. I think the problem with those passive hand warmers is, that they won't last very long...