LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Panasonic GH4 Holy Grail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone out there in Time Lapse Land use a Panasonic GH4? I know it's not the best camera for still photography, but I'm a videographer and it's all I have for the time being. I'm looking for the best technique for doing a time lapse with this camera. Any tips (aside from "Go get a Nikon") are much appreciated! I'll be attempting to shoot a Holy Grail time lapse for a wedding in Cancun in a little over a week.
Hi, I have used several Lumix cameras for time lapse, and i would say that they are generally well suited, even better than nikon or canon - as long as you shoot during daylight. In the night Lumixes aren't that good when it comes to high ISO, with the GH4 you shouldn't go higher than about ISO 800, so you will need some artificial light for the GH4, maybe thats the case...

Outstanding compared to Nikon/Canon is the electronic shutter that avoids shutter wear and allows you to get flicker free footage even at the shortest exposure times. However very short exposure times are not so clever if you have many moving subjects, as I would expect on a wedding.

You might need an external timer, im not sure if the GH4 has an internal one.

Switch to manual mode, fully open the aperture of your lens and start. But if you wanna get a holy grail you have to stick with your camera during dawn, to adjust exposure time or ISO every view minutes. There are solutions to automate that, but for you time is too short to get that stuff.

Alternatively you might try A-mode, so you only have to adjust ISO. Maybe Gunther can comment if the newest version of LRT is capable to deal with that footage (deflickering).

However, starting time lapse with a holy grail is a tough goal, you have to practise before!