LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Lighting foreground in Milky Way Timelapse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have any recommendations for lighting a foreground element when shooting a milky way timelapse.

The goal is not to over expose the foreground and the light source should deliver a constant light over 2-3 hours and should be lightweight in best case.

What I mean by lighting the foreground you see in the start pic of this video:
https://vimeo.com/57130400

Thanks for your hints
Hi Achim,

maybe you should try a dimmable or low watt led light. It should not consume too much power so a small battery should be quit good. I found an articel about that some time ago, it's in german but maybe google translator should help: DIY Led Lamp

Or you can use a normal lamp with some kind of paper infront of it to reduce the light.

Regards, Chris
(2015-07-22, 18:12)Achim74 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have any recommendations for lighting a foreground element when'

Thanks for your hints

Did you have any luck getting a product that meets your needs. I have purchased lighting equipment but I'm not happy with the results. The lights I have are too bright for night sky time lapse, I can dim them, but not as much as I like.

In addition the lighting field is also too large, I want to light up a small area like a tree or rock, I don't want to light a large area.

Rich
(2015-07-22, 18:12)Achim74 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have any recommendations for lighting a foreground element when shooting a milky way timelapse.

The goal is not to over expose the foreground and the light source should deliver a constant light over 2-3 hours and should be lightweight in best case.  

Thanks for your hints

[size=medium][font=Calibri]For me it looks like, that there 2 videos are mixed. One includes only the milky way, the other the foreground… [/font][/size]

Joerg
You should look at that blog post about OxyLED : http://cameratown.com/news/news.cfm?id=11139
It seems to be exactly what you need.
Yannick,

Thanks, but we are talking about something completely different. You are suggesting light pens (flashlight) for "Light Painting" a SINGLE IMAGE. We are talking about shinning a flood light for many hours of a time lapse. The original post shows an excellent example in the link he provides.

Here is a link of what is needed, I have two of these. I can adjust the intensity and change the color (4000K to 7000K) and it will light a scene for hours to days. It fits on a tripod, which is also necessary for stability.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=1...yes&sts=pi

Thanks for trying,
(2015-09-03, 03:35)richparry Wrote: [ -> ]Yannick,

Thanks, but we are talking about something completely different. You are suggesting light pens (flashlight) for "Light Painting" a SINGLE IMAGE. We are talking about shinning a flood light for many hours of a time lapse.
Thanks for trying,

I have nothing against you man, and your work seems to be great but before saying that someone is completly out of the subject, you just may read at least the first lines of the link. I'll copy/paste it there to show that it's not that wrong : 
"As a professional photographer my gear list keeps growing and growing, so when I find tools that help lighten the load I get pretty excited. In 2013 I began teaching advanced night-sky time-lapse photography workshops under the dark skies of Moab, UT. One of the challenges I faced was how to light our foregrounds so that each workshop participant would be positioned properly to benefit from the effects of the light. While I brought three video lights of varying sizes to the workshop I soon discovered that everyone would benefit from having access to their own light. Plus, the video lights I already owned were large and way too bright, and each one needed a Sony NPF-550 style battery, which increased the weight even further. I did have a few that were dimmable, but at their lowest settings they tended to flicker which made them unreliable for timelapse work...."
I guessed I missed the point, I thought the original post was about time lapse and not about light painting.

Thanks,
Rich
Here is some video where you can see some shots done with the OxyLED Q6 (I think, it's a timelapse, but maybe I'm wrong) :

Here is the Oxyled Q6

Rich, I don't know why you're talking about lightpainting.
Yannick,

I mentioned light painting because the LED you showed looked like a flashlight that shines a narrow beam of light which is what is often times used for light painting. After viewing the product review view, I see the LED light you mention can flood a wide area making it useful for time lapse. The only downside I can think of is the difficult of mounting it, but that is minor. I stand corrected.

Sorry for my error and thanks,
Rich