LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Annecy in Motion - 4K - Timelapse/Hyperlapse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

After more than 5 months of work, here is my first project finished. It's some sort of Flow Motion combining timelapses and hyperlapses around Annecy, a beautiful city in the French Alps. Using an amateur equipment, I tried to make it look as professional as possible.

You can see it on Vimeo here :

or in 4K on Youtube there :

Feel free to share if you like it.

For more information about the video and the gear used :

More than 23.000 pictures taken, more than 1To of data, a lot of patience and many hours of post-production.

Camera :
- Canon 550D

Lenses :
- Canon 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM (for 90% of the shots)
- Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8
- TAMRON AF 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Macro
- Samyang 8mm f/3.5 aspherical IF MC Fisheye

Tripod and Head :
- Manfrotto 055XPROB
- Manfrotto 804RC2

Other :
- ND filter B&W 110 ND3 (+10 stops)

Software used :
- Magic Lantern Firmware
- Lightroom 6
- LRTimelapse 4
- After Effects CC

LRTimelapse was more than usefull (specially on the first and last Holy Grail sequence)

Yannick
This is great! It's all good, but the hyperlapses are especially impressive to me.

Nice work.
Thanks willkistler, the hyperlapses are the reason I started this personnal project. I hadn't shot timelapses for years and it was something that make me back to it (with the discover of LRTimelapse also Smile).
Excellent work, very impressive. It clearly shows a great deal of work, creativity, dedication, patience, and talent.

The hyper lapse work is great, but the transitions are truly unique. I have stepped though your video frame by frame to understand the transitions but can't figure it out.

It appears you added 8-12 zoom frames before each clip and did some blurring and morphing, but I really don't know. Would you care to share how you did it?

Rich
Thanks Rich.

You quite get it about the transitions. It's a mix of 3 different types of effects (on some transition there's only one or two effects used, on others, the 3) :
- First, I added some sort of infinite zoom (with a photo taken after the timelapse with a zoom lens where I know I will do the transition). I helped me zoom to the next location without loosing too much quality.
- I also added some radial blur to smooth the movement.
- And I finished with a morph from that zoomed view to the next timelapse/hyperlapse. The radial blur also helped to hide some weird things due to the morph. On one transition, I added some warp cause the perpective between the timelapse before and the hyperlapse after were too different.

That's quite everything about it. Hope it's helped you understand it.
Thanks for the response and explanation. I assume the radial blur and morphing were all done in After Effects, right?

One more question, for your hyper lapse, did you move the tripod by picking it up and moving it, or did you place your tripod on wheels. I've done a few HL videos, lot of work, but has interesting results.

Thanks again and great job, it was very creative.

Rich
Yes, all the effects were done with After Effects.

And for the hyperlapses technique, I moved the tripod by picking it up and moving it. No wheels used. I used my shoe between each movement to measure the distance needed.

Yannick
Hi Yannick
I live in Meythet and your video is really well done, the very good work.

Romain
Hi,

it's just an hyperlapse but instead of moving straight, you move in a circular way around your target. The circle must be as precise as possible. But the warp stabilizer don't really like that kind of move, it's really a pain in the ass to stabilize it. I've stabilized it manually frame by frame, then added just as really small amount of warp to make it a little smoother.

PS : you should edit your post, no neet to quote the entire original one.
That's an impressive timelapse and hyperlapse, hats off!!!

I have a question about the hyperlapse. I've tried shooting them with different degrees of success. Sometimes it works great others I just can't estabilize them. Warp Stabilizer doesn't work really well as you described, so I tried to estabilize them manually.

I've shot them hand held and with tripods, the best result I ever got was with manual shooting with this hyperlapse in the UK https://vimeo.com/123664041

I manually added estabilizer points frame by frame and then applied Warp. Tried the same method on others I did in nature and I just couldn't make it work. I normally estaibilize Y position first in a channel so it all stays at the same height on Adobe After Effects, then I close the channel and apply a rotation estabilizer point frame by frame again, so now I have two independent nested channels. Normally at that point it's "pretty" stable, but there is some wobbling normally which I just can't remove from the hyperlapse. I try to apply Warp Estabilizer then but it just doesn't work.

So I don't know what I am doing wrong, I am very close to making it right but I am missing something Sad Any suggestions or tips? Any tutorials that might help me go in the right direction?

Thanks a million!
Have a great weekend
Cheers,
Alfonso
Pages: 1 2