LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: shorten wifi communication delay while shooting timelapse intervals?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys,
Just wondering:how can i shorten the wifi communication delay while shooting timelapse intervals?
The case is, i've just tested my setup in lrtimelapse mode, and if the gap between exposure and interval is shorter than 4 or 5 seconds, i get misfire.This means that if i'm exposing 6 seconds for night time , i have to use 11 seconds interval to make sure i don't lose any frame! This is sometime too slow and will result the footage looking "too fast".
So i was wondering what if i wants to capture more frames as much as possible by shortening the gap? Will using an usb cable instead of wifi helps reduce the delay time? If so, i don't think the Sony mirroless' is supporting usb cable? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
I certainly depends on the size of the images you are tranferring (set to RAW+JPG smalles size available) - second it depends onthe WiFi speed, TPLink router might be the most reliable and third of the speed of you controlling device (pc is fastest, android a bit slower, iOS devices slowest in my experience).
With my Nexus Seven and the D750 internal WiFi I can get a 2.5secs darktime (interval - longest exposure) without problems.
Has anyone tried the tp-link router with the Nexus 7 (16 GB) and a Nikon D810? What is the minimum dark time you are able to run with this configuration? Right now I'm using the iPad air (latest) with this configuration and 4 seconds will not work reliably.
It's already set in Raw+smallest jpeg mode, =(
I think the wifi connections are fine, but i realize that old model of Sony aps-c mirrorless camera tend to react pretty slow in remote control app, this may also be an issue! Well, guess i just have to live with it for now. Thanks for the support!
There's posts about user using d810 getting unstable interval in the forum of dslrdashboard.info, i think the safe dark time was about 5-6 seconds as they discussed? Can't remember what mobile device it was running on tho, take a look yourself in the forum =)
I will check out the qdslr forum for the d810 info. I just ran an experiment with D810, tp-link mr3040, iPad air running iOS 8.4. With dark time of 8 seconds, it still misses frames. When I run with the Nikon intervalometer, it runs perfectly with dark time of 3 sec. I'm beginning to believe I can't use qdslr.
You should contact Zoltan to discuss this, check his forum: http://dslrdashboard.info
D810 is certainly not the best camera for time lapse, but 8 secs should be enough, even with the iPad.
Hi guys,

I set up my new router today and I ran some tests tonight with the following: Nikon D800E, iPad 4 running iOS 8.3 and TP-Link Router. It works perfectly with a minimum dark time of 3 seconds using the qdslr built-in intervalometer. With a dark time of 2 seconds it clearly starts missing frames. Which CF/SD cards are you using? I recently upgraded mine to 160MB/s. Maybe you need faster cards as the size of the D810 files should be pretty close to mine.

Hope this helps!
Hi Christophe,

I am using the same set-up - 800e, TP-Link, iPad.

with the above setup, Is the 800e set to DX or I you using full frame - 3 secs Dark Time?