LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: "True Holy Grail"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

First of all, congrats Gunther and Matthias; noticing that the lens aperture was not changing during Live View capture and figuring out how to trigger the motion controller via the flash sync port of the camera was brilliant! Do I also need to mention again that Zoltan is a pure genius? 

Now for my comment: I just tried the "True Holy Grail" technique on a tripod (no motion). The aperture ramping works great with any of my lenses except for my Nikon PC-E lenses that have an aperture ring. It seems that DslrDashboard doesn't allow to change the "wide aperture" value with lenses that exclusively have a manual control of the aperture. Can someone confirm this?

I also tried the technique with a motion controller (eMotimo TB3) in slave mode but - Question: how do I set the parameters for the motion? It seems to me that the only solution is to use Dragonframe to define the start/end points for the motion. Suddenly the cost effective aperture ramping solution may cost me another $295?! Am I missing something here? 

I don't see any info about all of this in your tutorial Gunther (another awesome tutorial by the way!). Can you help?

Thanks for your feedback,

C.

Gear: Nikon D800E, eMotimo TB3, Rhino slider, system triggered via DslrDashboard on laptop computer
Hi Christophe,
first thanks for the nice words.
You don't need any additional software. You just set the EMotimo in Slave mode then program the movement as usually. The only difference is that the timer of the emotimo is not being used then (so the interval doesn't matter) - and the emotimo waits for a trigger from the aux port to do the next movement and release the camera.

BTW: Since LRT4 and its visual deflicker I mostly don't use the Liveview technique anymore and just do the 3 way ramping regularly - LRT4 fixes any residual flicker... :-)
Gunther - thank you for the fast response.

I tried again: when the eMotimo is in slave mode the screen just shows "eMotimo TB3 Black Dragonframe 1.26". As specified in the TB3 manual the remote is then not active. I must be missing something: how do you program the movement then??? Help!

Agreed, I crossgraded from LRT3 to LRT4 Pro a few days ago as your Visual Deflicker tutorial blew my socks off! :-) Can't wait to try it!

Note: I figured out out the problem with the PC-E lens; the aperture ring needs to be set on L to allow the camera (and DslrDashboard) to control it.
To be honest, I've never used the EMotimo in Slave mode, but I was expecting there to be a "real" slave mode to just trigger the movement via the Aux port, not only the Dragonframe mode - just like the NMX provides it. But I might be wrong, Please ask the EMotimo support.

But still - I'd not care so much about that Live-View technique, just rely on the visual deflicker and you'll be fine.

I've no experience with PC-E lenses, sorry - If you suspect a bug in qDslrDashboard, please report it to Zoltan: http://dslrdashboard.info
Alright, so I tried without the Live View technique and it worked perfectly: in Sunset Mode qDslrDashboard ramped sequentially the exposure time, aperture and finally ISO. Awesome! I am confident that the Visual Workflow will do the rest. After a gazillion tests I am finally ready to go shoot for real! :-)

No bug in qDslrDashboard: again, just set the aperture ring of the PC-E lens on L (last setting after f32) and it works.

Thanks again for all your help!
Hi Christophe, I am curious if you figured out programming the movement of the Emotimo TB3's in slave mode working with qDSLRdashboard?
I figured it out. To anyone reading this at a later stage:

What I wanted to do (and could not get any info on how to):
Set up the Emotimo TB3 on a slider and be able to change exposure settings on my camera using qDSLRdashboard. (do a Holy Grail)

Set up the Emotimo as usual (not in slave mode, let the Emotimo release shutter)
Connect to your camera wireless with qDSLdashboard.
Set up your 2 or 3 point move (dDSLR in LIVE view if you wish to see where you are setting up your points)
Set up all the parameters, but before starting you move
Click the LIVE to OFF (NB! The Emotimo will not release the shutter as long as qDSLR is in LIVE view)
Then go to the LRTimelapse screen
Start your move
You can now change any setting on the camera by hand or do a Auto Holy Grail.

HAPPINESS!