LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Syrp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone got any experience using a Syrp Genie. If so how does one shoot for Holy Grail using this device.

Thanks

Peter
Shooting Holy Grail according to my instructions is not problem, since the Genie will just trigger the camera and do the motion control, the holy grail adjustments will be done independently from this, either manually or with qDslrDashboard. Check out my tutorial: http://lrtimelapse.com/gear/dslrdashboard/
(2015-09-02, 09:42)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Shooting Holy Grail according to my instructions is not problem, since the Genie will just trigger the camera and do the motion control, the holy grail adjustments will be done independently from this, either manually or with qDslrDashboard. Check out my tutorial: http://lrtimelapse.com/gear/dslrdashboard/
Thanks for the reply Gunther.
I have the qDslrDashboard.
I have done some initial trials with my Nikon 800e and find it easy to use with great results shooting from a tripod - no motion - I am new to TL.
Of course, now thinking about it they should work independently - I will let you know when I have tried it.
Peter
Hi Gunther,
Some feedback regarding the above:
Firstly the qDslr Dashboard connection interface/screen has changed - I posted on the qDslr forum but have not received a reply yet.
as a result of the latter the connection is not as reliable (Nikond800e+iPad+TP-Link).

Anyway, moving on to the Syrp Genie, I started some testing today and the first issue is that when live view is active the Genie will not activate the shutter. The frames are counted, the incremental pan is operating but the shutter will not release.

Ok so without live view Genie will proceed as normal with each image showing "full screen" on the display. This is not ggod because one cannot invoke any exposure changes - if one activates the TL panel then control is available. However I have tried Auto Holy Grail and once again in live view the Genie stops activating the shutter. Without live view it seems OK but I have not carried out any Auto Holy Grail real life situations in order to say whether it works.

Without live view it seems the shutter is closed for each action therefore it negates the advantage that Nikons have. So it seems that shooting fixed at f2.8 (I use a Ziess 21mm and a Nikon 14-24mm) is the option therefore using ISO and shutter speed to compensate for the changing light.

Have you or anyone else got any Genie experience to share, or other workflow suggestions.

Kind regards

Peter
You don't need the live view trick anymore with LRTimelapse 4. Just shoot without LV and use the visual deflicker, I do this all the time now.
(2015-09-03, 00:12)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need the live view trick anymore with LRTimelapse 4. Just shoot without LV and use the visual deflicker, I do this all the time now.

Thanks Gunther, I will do some Auto Holy Grail trials with the Syrp and revert with my results.
Well I have been shooting this morning with the Syrp Genie and the qDslr Dashboard and can report that the two are NOT compatible.

I tried every combination with the device, camera settings and qDslr but unfortunately the trigger software of the Syrp is not compatible with the sofware and causes the qDslr all sorts of issues.

Its a great pity because the Syrp is a great little device, very easy to set-up and use, I guess I will revert to its own "Bramping" software unless there is a fix out there?
(2015-09-04, 12:25)petercorb Wrote: [ -> ]Well I have been shooting this morning with the Syrp Genie and the qDslr Dashboard and can report that the two are NOT compatible.

This is not true. I've been shooting last week with a student of mine, he has the Genie and it was no problem to shoot with the genie and qDDB at all. I assume, you are doing something wrong!
Maybe the genie is sending a trigger signal that is too long of whatever. Set the trigger to very short, exposure time etc. to very short in the genie. It should only trigger the release. Everything else will happen on the camera (exposure time) and qDDB.
Hi Gunther I have just checked again:

f2.8 - exp. 1sec - interval 5 secs (this should be enough time?)

Take a shot check exposure etc. set camera manual.

Start Genie with a simple routine 5 sec interval.

The qDDD shows the jpeg preview at FULL SCREEN every time a shot is taken, I cannot do any adjustment because there is no time. If I X cancel the preview qDDD drops the connection.
If I go into LRTimelapse (this must be dome quickly in between shots) menu then I cannot make any adjustments to exposure, iso or shutter speed the settings will not respond.
Pages: 1 2