LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Brand new to this - need lens suggestions!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

First off, huge thank you to Gunther for making such a wonderful, helpful, user-friendly program.  Also, thank you to the community for sharing all of your tips and tricks!

I have had a Canon EOS Rebel t4i for the past few years now, but have really known nothing about photography.  I recently purchased the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 before going camping in California, and got some wonderful astrophotography pictures.  Now I have the itch.

I've purchased a Canon 6D, and I have the Rokinon lens for nightlapses, however, I now need lenses for sunrise/sunset/daytime shots.  I plan to do a mix of timelapses and hyperlapses, and the video that Yannick_C posted of Annecy is just brilliant!  I'd like to try to use some of those techniques.  Mainly, I can't put filters on the Rokinon because of the lens shape, and that makes daytime shots very choppy for me.  I'm looking for one telephoto/zoom lens and one all-around daytime shots lens that I could shoot 90% of the shots with.  I'll be doing hyperlapses of buildings/statues/focal points, as well as timelapses of landscapes and such.  I'm doing this as a hobby, not a profession, so I don't have lots of money to spend on lenses, so affordable but suitable options would be best.

I think I would want manual aperture lenses to prevent flickering, so I can purchase a quality adapter to use Nikon lenses, but I don't even know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Kendall
Hi Kendall.

Happy that you liked my work. 90% of my shots were done with an ultra wide angle lens. I just own an APS-C Canon 550D (the same as Rebel T2i), so I've used a Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM for almost all the sequences.

I've though of buying a Canon 6D (when I'll have the money to go Full Frame and buy lenses and all) and if I had to buy one lens for that type of work (an ultra wide lens), that would be the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM or Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens (but the price is quite high, around 1500$ for the first and 1000$ for the second). But as I don't own a Full Frame camera now, I'll let the other give you advice on the best quality/price lenses.

If you look at Filippo Rivetti's video which has great zoom effects here : http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-sydn...nniversary
You'll see that he used a Canon 16-35mm f/2.8, Canon 24mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8
That's the best you can choose but the price will go really high really fast.

I'm not sure manual aperture lenses is really important now that you can easily deflicker your sequences in LRT4 or use the lens twist trick.

Yannick
Yannick,

Thank you for the quick reply! I've probably watched your Annecy video 15 times in the past few days! Yes, I watched Filippo's video and want to try so many things now!

I appreciate your recommendations, and will try to find some good prices on one of those!

Kendall