LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Connection Nikond800e + iPad _ TP-Link
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For some reason I cannot get a response from the qDslr forum, tried twice!

Anyway... I have been using the above combination for a few weeks without an issue.

However suddenly the opening/connection screen changed from the full menu with the Application selections to just the top row.

The latter screen is still somewhere in the software because occasionally it flicks on before it reverts to just the top line.

I can connect but its erratic and sometimes needs dozens of try's before it will connect - also it is not as reliable and drops the connection without warning.

Has anyone had this issue ? or can help.

Regards

Peter
Which version of qDDB are you using? Make sure to always use the latest one. Which device?
(2015-09-04, 13:18)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Which version of qDDB are you using? Make sure to always use the latest one. Which device?

qDD - V0.3.0 - iPad Air - TP-Link3040 - Nikon800e

It was fine then changed?
I am using a Syrp Genie with the above.

I restored my iPad downloaded the qDDB again and now have a reliable connection.

The original opening connection screen does not appear, just the top row of buttons, however it now works fine.

Did a 1 hour Sunset Auto Holy Grail last night, with a 90degree pan with the Genie - will post it when I process, hope to get some feedback.

Thanks again Gunther.
Hi Gunther I think my previous thread  http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-syrp?page=2 now belongs here under this section of the forum. 

I have spoken to Syrp and had several emails: they cannot see a problem with my set-up with the Genie.

There are only these settings that effect my shoot on the Genie:

1. The interval - 8secs
2. Move-Shoot-Delay 400ms
3. Ease In/Out OFF
4. Shutter signal 200ms

qDDB/Auto Holy Grail 

1. Max shutter speed - 4 secs
2. Max iso - 3200
3. Max aperture 2.8
4. Camera - manual - RAW + Basic jpg.
5. Auto focus OFF (Zeiss 21mm Manual Focus)
6. qDDB - LRTimelapse - Sunset - Settings = 3 way ramping
7. Exp. Comp. +/- 0.3
Please note I did not touch the Set reference + - during the shoot.

When the max shutter speed  is reached i.e 4 secs the Interval changed to 16 secs. - I have tried this set up 3 times with the same result.

There should be more than enough time within the 8 sec interval to complete all tasks - Move shoot delay, release the shutter, download the image to the SD card (Lexar 2000x 64GB) etc.

Syrp have not closed my issue but they are suggesting it may be something in the qDDB that is holding up the shutter release on the Genie.

You said you have experience of shooting using a Genie with one of your students' ??

Can you help.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
die D800 produces huge files, and the iPad is not the fastest. It could be, that the transfer just takes too long.
But this is then not a problem with the genie, but would hapen with any other intervalometer too.
On the D8x0 I mostly recommend setting it to DX mode and use only the cropped image from the center, this will produce significantly smaller files that have still more then enough resolution for timelapse.
Hi Gunther thank you very much for your reply,

I will try with the DX crop setting later this evening - however it still does not explain why the Genie goes from 8 secs to 16 only when the shutter speed reaches 4 secs - but will try.

You say the iPad is not the fastest, what other device is faster?.

Also there are two issues you have mentioned - the speed of the i Pad and the download speed to the card are separate.

Am I correct that the iPad with qDDB is only recording jpegs (which I have set to the lowest res) for analysis ?

Please advise  

Regards

Peter
Hi Gunther this is very frustrating:

I went out tonight to shoot a magnificent sunset.

All set up - camera set to DX - started the Genie with the same settings as above.

qDDB set to Auto Holy Grail, shot a test, exposure perfect, off we go - NO; the software froze.

After 20 shots of trying to get out of the interface - I could not even get back to the main screen - I switched off.

Quickly tried again and went straight into the frozen screen of LRTimelapse/Auto Holy Grail.

Now I am convinced that all the above is not due to settings on the Genie or the Camera but the qDDB software on my iPad.

I have tried for 3 weeks to get an answer to my post on the qDDB forum but have not had an answer to the issues I outlined also on this site.

is there a software issue with qDDB and iOS/iPad I have the latest download from the Apps Store....

Please advise.

Regards

Peter
Peter, I don't know why it froze, I'm not the developer of qDDB and I'm not using any Apple devices. When it comes to qDDB I'm only responsible for the idea behind the auto holy grail and the LRT screen - not the underlying app.

I can only say, that I know a lot of users, that use qDDB on iOS devices, and it mostly works fine. When I was shooting with the guys that had iPads, D800s and the Genie, we decided to go to DX mode because the dark time had to be too long otherwise (longer then 4 seconds).

Obviously it might work a bit better on Android, I use a Nexus 7 and don't experience those problems, besides that it seems to be faster then the iPads too.

Quote:however it still does not explain why the Genie goes from 8 secs to 16 only when the shutter speed reaches 4 secs - but will try.

Because then you have only 4 seconds left for transmitting the preview and controlling the camera - and 4 Seconds is not much to transfer the 36MP jpg from the camera, if the camera is not finished, it will not release - therefore the doubling in time.
Thank you for the reply Gunther,

Yes I do see your point using DX, however I did not get the chance to find out whether it was the issue with the 4 sec dark time.

I have spent considerable time and effort (the cost was not so much but it's still relevant) and now find I have an unstable unreliable platform using my iPad and the App I bought.

I don't really want to spend more money at this stage on a Nexus 7 but it seems I am now at a dead-end.

I cant understand why I cant get an answer from the developer, it seems there are others with similar issues.

Thanks again

Peter
Pages: 1 2