LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Milky Way w/bright light moving off frame
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I recently caught the timelapse bug and purchased a Dynamic Perceptions slider.  On my first use of the slider I setup to pan follow the milky way and had a problem that I cannot understand (and don't want to repeat).

I was shooting across a lake and on the other side of the lake were a few bright lights.  As the slider panned, the bright lights moved off screen and I got an abrupt darkening of the whole frame.  My attempts to removing the sudden brightness change in LRTimelapse haven't been that successful, but that's probably just my being a noob.  I really just want to understand why the camera exposure changed.

All my exposures setting were manual so I can't figure out why it happened.  Has anyone else experienced this?

The issue appears 12 seconds into this video: https://vimeo.com/139453988
Hold the critiques please, this is not a great timelapse!

Camera Settings:
Canon 6D
Raw
Lens: 14mm f/2.8 (no stabilization)
Exposure: 20 seconds, f/2.8, iso 3200
Manual focus
White Balance: Tungsten
Auto Lighting Optimizer: OFF
Long exp noise reduction: OFF
High ISO speed NR: standard (maybe should've shut off but I don't think this affects raw)
Highlight tone priority: OFF

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cory
Hi Cory, you could check the Table in LRTimelapse for the values for Shutter Speed, ISO and Aperture, if the camera really changed anything.
Most likely it's Lightroom that is applying the same edits differently to images with different brightness.
Try to avoid using Clarity, Dehaze, Whites and Black when editing (use the parametric tone curve instead) and try again. This should help with the effect. See this article too:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
Thanks Gunther!  That was right on.  It was the clarity setting.  I had read that post you pointed out but nothing sticks in my memory until I run into the issue head on!

BTW, maybe to help others, I tried an experiment to only apply clarity within one of the lrtimelapse radial gradient filters (rather than the whole image).  This did not help.  The radial gradient area changed brightness when the whole image brightness changed.  So lightroom isn't just looking at the pixels within the gradient.

Cory
Hi Cory, thanks for sharing your experiment. Yes - unfortunately this is the case. Those are the areas where one notices, that Lightroom have been designed for stills :-)