LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Lunar eclipse timelapse help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all.

I am aiming to go out and shoot the total lunar eclipse this Sunday as it coincides with a super moon and blood moon but I have never shot a timelapse like this before.

Can anyone help with settings, what to watch out for etc

I am particularly concerned with the sudden drop in light levels once the moon is in shadow and being able to capture the red moon during the eclipse. 

Thanks

Martyn
I'd suggest to freely proceed according to the holy grail method (changing Shutterspeed/ISO as needed manually) and leave it to LRTimelapse's "Holy Grail-Wizard" to level everything lateron. Just take care to not overexpose!
Thank you
Any suggestions on a good starting point for camera settings? I was thinking of f4 15seconds ish and what ever ISO needed for that exposure?
You'll have to do some sample shots, it really depends on the conditions.
I've shot a lunar eclipse timelapse this april, and i find the hardest part of it is not about figuring out exposure settings, i left my settings the same value without any problem.
The biggest problem is, you have to shoot the eclipse with a really long focal length tele-photo lens, im talking about 500mm and up, otherwise it wont show much detail of the eclipse even with a lot of cropping done afterward, and the tricky part is - it gets so much harder to maintain the moon in the same position of the framing, as the moon rise will result in looking very very quick especially with such a long focal length, the moon will run off you framing every 5 mintues!
So if you want to shoot a complete timelapse of the eclipse from start to finish, whether you use a equatorial mount, which most ppl dont have, or you have to re-adjust your framing couple of times. and in post production, matching the position of the moon in each sequences is not that easy, also even if you are shooting in a great calm environment, the timelapse will still most likely end up with noticble shaking, and in my experiences, warp stabilizer wont work well in this kind of situation.

So advice is, use a equitorial mount, shoot with longest focal length possible, shoot with shortest interval, and use the most sturdy-est tripod you have. good luck
If you don't have a mount, you can even reframe a couple auf times and then use crop keyframes in LRTimelapse to remove the "jumps" - similar to the Holy Grail technique, only for crop. I've done this in 2011, it worked quite nice.
Check out my video, you can use google translate to read the german article.

https://translate.google.com/translate?s...t=&act=url
Here is another thread where we discussed this topic: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-usin...hotography