LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Visual Preview totally underexposed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I've been playing some more with the holy grail in LRTimelapse 4.4 and encountered a problem when I was trying to edit a Night-To-Day shot. In Lightroom I've had to go as low as -3.9 for some keyframes in order to have them show correctly exposed. Now that I've saved the metadata to files, reloaded the keyframes into LRTimelapse and applied transitions the "visual preview" is smooth but totally underexposed. 

Attached you'll find 0323.CR2 in Lightroom and with the same settings as a visual preview in LRTimelapse.

Any idea what happened here or what I did wrong?

Thanks so much and best regards,
Sebastian
Do you have the _latest_ DNG converter installed?
Download link here: http://lrtimelapse.com/install

Did you save metadata in LR and reloaded in LRT?

Then redo the visual previews: while they are activated: shift-f5
Thank for your quick reply!

I have downloaded and installed DNG Converter 9.2 (had it already) and then initialized metadata and went through the whole process again step by step, making sure I would not leave out any of the buttons in LRTimelapse and correctly saving the metadata to the edited keyframes. Now I am again at the point where I click "Visual Previews" and again it comes up with a visual luminance of 0.012 for my edited keyframe 0323.CR2.

It looks nicely exposed in Lightroom but almost black in the Visual Preview of LRTimelapse (see screenshots in my first post).

Any ideas? Again, I had to go down to -3,90 for the exposure setting in Lightroom - which by itself is kind of awkward. These frames were nowhere even close to overexposed during the actual shoot going by the camera meter. I kept an eye on the exposure meter the whole time and changed settings manually as the light changed.

Regards,
Sebastian
So as I was working on a different shot from this morning (night to day) I noticed some strange behavior in Lightroom.

1. I imported the sequence from LRTimelapse with keyframes and holy grail applied.
2. Filtered by keyframes and started editing them.
3. After finishing the first keyframe I press Shift+Cmd+C, move to the next keyframe and paste the settings by pressing Shift+Cmd+V.
3. I repeated copy / paste for each keyframe (ticking all boxes in the copy dialogue) and slightly adjusted the settings for each new keyframe as needed
4. However, after a few images I noticed that I increasingly needed to darken the exposure as the sun began to come up in the frame (kind of strange, I made sure in the first place while shooting that all pictures were correctly exposed manually throughout the sequence)
5. Then I noticed that before I pasted the settings from the previous keyframe the exposure would actually look quite balanced. But once I pasted the settings with the exposure setting from the previous keyframe being as low as -2,30 the image suddenly appeared BRIGHTER than it looked by default.

If I don't paste any settings and instead just move the sliders I don't really need to go down with the exposure slider at all to achieve the same look. As I said I took correctly exposed shots in the first place.

Does anyone have an idea what could be happening here? I am quite confused, but it seems like it must be something to do with Lightroom. I am using the following:

- Canon 5Dsr
- Lightroom 5 (2015.2.1 release)
- Camera RAW 9.2
- LRTimelapse 4.4

Thanks so much for any suggestions,
Sebastian
I think the problem is, that you are messing with LRTimelapses background adjustments if you use Copy/Paste in Lightroom. That's what the special "Sync Script" is for otherwise you will remove LRTimelapse preedits for holy grail and deflicker.

Please see this faq thread:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-how-...ync-script

Those tips might be important to consider too:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
Thanks, I'm sure that must be it. Didn't recognize the importance of syncing rather than copying when I watched your tutorial.

Thanks again for your fast response!

Cheers,
Sebastian

EDIT: I've checked it now and copying the settings was definitely the problem. Using the Sync script instead got rid of the issue. Awesome!