LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Meta Data Files Not Updating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using LR Timelapse 1.8 on Win7 64bit I7 24GB RAM. I'm also using Lightroom Version 4 along with Camera Raw 7. I have selected LR4 as Process version in LRT settings.

I have followed the exact flow advised between LRT and LR4 from tutorials, initialised, saved, etc... There are a lot of discrepancies in the XMP files generated. I logged the changes in the files with a text editor and the versions and data varies widly when saving with one app or the other. It's not very consistent. Some features from LR4 such as Tone Curves (R, G and B) don't make it back to LRT when I save in LR4. I can't seem to get the TC tags into LRT from LR4. Some other tags don't correspond either with LRT either such as 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' in Lens Correction.

Are these two apps meant to work together? From what I've gathered so far it's a bit of mess on the XMP side of things. Am I missing something?
(2012-04-23, 15:00)multiweb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using LR Timelapse 1.8 on Win7 64bit I7 24GB RAM. I'm also using Lightroom Version 4 along with Camera Raw 7. I have selected LR4 as Process version in LRT settings.

I have followed the exact flow advised between LRT and LR4 from tutorials, initialised, saved, etc... There are a lot of discrepancies in the XMP files generated. I logged the changes in the files with a text editor and the versions and data varies widly when saving with one app or the other. It's not very consistent. Some features from LR4 such as Tone Curves (R, G and B) don't make it back to LRT when I save in LR4. I can't seem to get the TC tags into LRT from LR4. Some other tags don't correspond either with LRT either such as 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' in Lens Correction.

Are these two apps meant to work together? From what I've gathered so far it's a bit of mess on the XMP side of things. Am I missing something?

1. Thanks for posting your system info first. Could be a workflow problem.

2. Make sure that if you write out metadata you do it from Library view and select all images. When in the develop-module, Lightroom will only write out the metadata of the current image.

2. I have the same setup and haven't had any problem... What camera files are you processing? Raw, jpg, dng, nef???

RMS

(2012-04-23, 17:44)Raw Media Studios Wrote: [ -> ]1. Thanks for posting your system info first. Could be a workflow problem.

I doubt it. I have reproduced the problem times and times again. Some of the tags come up as 2012 processes but not consitantly and some don't turn up at all in LRT. Even tried to edit the xmp files manually. I'm currently at my wits' end and about to can the app for something else.

(2012-04-23, 17:44)Raw Media Studios Wrote: [ -> ]2. Make sure that if you write out metadata you do it from Library view and select all images. When in the develop-module, Lightroom will only write out the metadata of the current image.
Yes - this is what I do.

(2012-04-23, 17:44)Raw Media Studios Wrote: [ -> ]2. I have the same setup and haven't had any problem... What camera files are you processing? Raw, jpg, dng, nef???

I use SONY ARW raw files with external xmp metadata files.

See below a part of the xmp file where I added a point on the Tone Curve for the blue channel and saved in LR4. This is not read by LRT interface. Although it reads the info from the text metadata file the interface doesn't show any TC column in changed columns.
Quote:crs:ToneCurve (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurveBlue (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurveGreen (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurveName = "Linear"
crs:ToneCurveName2012 = "Custom"
crs:ToneCurvePV2012 (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 1"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurvePV2012Blue (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "125, 125"
[3] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurvePV2012Green (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurvePV2012Red (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:ToneCurveRed (0x600 : ARRAY | ARRAY_ORDERED)
[1] = "0, 0"
[2] = "255, 255"
crs:Version = "7.0"
Well after a frustrating few days I think I found a work around. Turned out that following the instructions to the letter was what got me in trouble in the first place so to double check with everybody here it goes.

From the recommendations picked up from this site:

1.Never - ever - use "auto tone".
[agreed]
2.Avoid the blacks-slider (!) -> best set it to 0!
[No - I did have to use the black slider to set the black clipping and black point]

3.also avoid the other non-linear sliders: fill light, recovery, brightness, contrast (you can use them to a small degree, but don't exagerate)
[Again no - Fill light, recovery, Blacks-slider, Exposure, Brightness and Contrast, Tint and Color Temperature are the settings I had to use to color correct the subs successfuly ]

4.use Exposure and the parametric tone curve instead of them (compensate blacks with shadows).
[Absolutely not: THIS was the problem- Tone Curve are the settings that created all the color problems. They just didn't translate back to LRT from LR4 and vice versa]

So here it goes, that's what I've got so far. LRT 1.8 is set to LRA/CR7 and I use Lightroom 4 so the 2012 tagged parameters.

Awaiting people input and similar experience.
Thanks.
Hi!
Not all LR4 Parameters are being supported by LRTimelapse, only the most common and useful ones for time lapse (way over 100 though). If you untick "hide unchanged prperties" you will see all supported parameters in the table header.

The Point-Tone Curve is not supported, only the parametric tone-curve - that's what caused you the trouble.

The reason is that animating the point curves is not trivial - what if the user has a starting point curve with say 3 anchors and an ending with 6? Same goes for local adjustments via the paintbrush. They are not supported as well.

Please let me know if you have other questions - I'm back from holidays and will be glad to answer now.

Best
Gunther
(2012-05-01, 08:59)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!
Not all LR4 Parameters are being supported by LRTimelapse, only the most common and useful ones for time lapse (way over 100 though). If you untick "hide unchanged prperties" you will see all supported parameters in the table header.

The Point-Tone Curve is not supported, only the parametric tone-curve - that's what caused you the trouble.

The reason is that animating the point curves is not trivial - what if the user has a starting point curve with say 3 anchors and an ending with 6? Same goes for local adjustments via the paintbrush. They are not supported as well.

Please let me know if you have other questions - I'm back from holidays and will be glad to answer now.

Best
Gunther

Thanks for the clarification Ghunter. I've downloaded your eBook and still reading. Will come back if I have additional questions. The main issue I am having at the moment is color balance. Actually changing white balance. My timelapses go from day to night and I suspect my subs are also under exposed which compounds to the problem.
I have a couple of the latest on my vimeo channel here. I'm trying to get rid of the green cast at night as the camera is not modded. It's a SONY NEX-5. 15s subs at ISO 3200, manual daylight white balance. I thought of using the tone curve to reduce the green but then realised that wasn't working so I tried to use the colour temp and tint but it's a bit restrictive. My last resort would be to batch the TIFFs output in Photoshop to color correct but it's a lot of files that's why I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it in LR4 with external XMPs.
Hi, I use the HSL controls for this kind of adjustments along with WB and even the Color-Tint of a graded adjustment or better the new abilities to set different WB on graded adjustments is sometimes a life saver.