LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Lightroom CC/6 and El Capitan crashes while rendering sequences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font=Helvetica]I've been using LRT and LR for 4 years now with no problems rendering sequences.  But in the last 2 months, with a new (late 2015) fully loaded iMac, I've been getting crashes when rendering LRT sequences, usually when I'm rendering multiple sequences simultaneously.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Thinking it was some sort of OS problem I wiped my entire system clean to try to understand these crashes I'm seeing in both Lightroom (when rendering multiple sequences wi the LRTimelapse plugin) and in FCPX (when using the Digital Anarchy Flicker Free plugin), and also in Lightroom just now when optimizing the catalog.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of or experienced instabilities with rendering multiple sequences with the LRT plugin in LR CC or LR6 on the Mac under[/font][font=Helvetica] El Capitan.  [/font]

[font=Helvetica]THANK YOU.[/font]
Hi Gary, sorry to hear about your crashes. Actually I didn't hear of something similar yet, so I'd assume it's a problem with your computer. It might be a problem with the graphic card / drivers. Maybe you could deactivate the usage of graphic acceleration in Lightroom - this seem to cause problems on some systems. Another typical cause for problems like this might be a faulty ram module. This would lead to crashes when the computer is under stress.

On a PC I'd remove half of the ram then try again - then exchange to the other half and try again. If the one part of the ram modules works and the other part not, you'll know it then.
Thanks Gunther, yup... I agree about it pointing to memory but I've swapped the memory out on this machine, brought it into Apple for their diagnostics, etc.  I'm pretty stumped at this point.  It's been causing problems for months now.

Also tried turning off the GPU in Lightroom, no joy yet.  At this point I think best thing to do is purchase a second identical system and make duplicate set of tests for that.  Apple has a 14-day return policy and I should be able to get a better sense of the problem with two systems in just a few days.

Ah, computers... gotta love em...

-g
My recommendation: buy a fast system on PC basis with double the processing power for the same or less money with Windows 10 for your time lapse work. This will be as plug and play as a mac is. It makes no big difference in usage and will probably be more stable, easily upgradable and you get way more bang for the buck.
Smart recommendation.
FWIW I'm running LR CC & LRT on a 2013 Mac Pro (el Capitan) without any issues.  You say you're compiling multiple sequences at the same time.  How are you doing this?  Running multiple copies of the same version of LR can cause problems.  HTH