LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Sony A7II: why does shooting with a remote release slow down shooting rate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A small rant, with hopes someone can offer a solution.[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]tl:dr: if I shoot a sequence on my Sony A7II with an intervalometer, it slows down the camera single-shot shooting rate vs. shooting with the shutter button.[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here are the details:[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm shooting with an A7II and the camera is being triggered by an intervalometer (connected via USB, of course). For the work I'm doing at the moment, I need to shoot at a rate of 1 shot per second/second and a half, but I'm getting a missed shot every 3-5 photos or so (which leads to a noticeable jump in the final movie, making it useless). If I shoot by pressing the shutter button, I can shoot at a much higher rate than that, which I tested by shooting 20 or so as fast as I could press the button (single shot mode, not continuous mode). So it's not a buffer issue.[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have a fast 256GB card in the camera (Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC that I have confirmed as genuine). I've set the USB mode manually to "PC Remote" (and tested all other modes), no change in behaviour. The intervalometer cable has been modified to remove the focus signal, as detailed in Gunther's blog post. I am using fully manual lenses, autofocus and aperture are not issues. This happens with any intervalometer I test.[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I should point out that the Sony timelapse app, while occasionally convenient for static work, is too limited for my uses (I'm using a Kessler SecondShooter 3-axis rig, and I need to use the rig controller to sync shots and moves).[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This is very frustrating, anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop the camera from having random little rests (for no reason I can discern) when I have a remote connected via USB?[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks in advance for any insights.[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Cheers![/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Chas[/font][/size]

[size=small][font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ps. sometimes I do regret choosing the Sony over a Nikon D750, but there are distinct advantages to shooting with the Sonys, in certain circumstances. eg: my Nikon-lens adaptor with built-in variable ND, for example, is really useful, plus all my Nikon lenses are now fully manual, no chance of aperture flicker.[/font][/size]
Try modifying the shutter relase cable (it's not USB, it connects to the multiport, I think) like I've explained it here: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/intervalometer-hack/
ha ha, already did that (I'm the one who posted that the Sony cable had to be set up like the Nikon cable).

:-)
Haha :-) - okay, then go sell the Sony and get a D750 :-)
Aaaaaaand, I did :-)

Well, kept the Sony too, but just got a D750.
Congratulations - I'm sure you won't regret. It's so much easier and just delivers...